Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hollyhock information needed

Posted by tammyj z6 S.W. Mo (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 14:05

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I have visited here, been busy moving,and trying to get garden beds put in. I am looking for a deep red hollyhock, it will be almost a black color. It is an older hollyhock. Does anyone know what I am looking for and where I can get some seeds at for this?
Thanks Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hollyhock information needed

Hi, Tammy,

I was in the Ozarks in May and discovered a blooming hollyhock at an inn where we spent one night. It was almost black. When I got home I looked for it on the Internet. You may be looking for Alcea rosea nigra. It is an extremely dark purple, and actually looks black. I don't know where you can get the seeds, but with a name you should be able to find them. Good luck.

o

I grew it this year for the first time. It's beautiful! I bought plants from Walmart last year in bags, labeled "Blue Hollyhocks". I was so eager to see a blue one, but I was pleasantly surprised with two Nigras and one Watchman, which has a little more frill in the center.

Sometimes, I suppose, Walmart's misnamed plants are a blessing.

Jung seeds has the Watchman on sale for 95 cents:

Here is a link that might be useful: Watchman Seeds

o

Hi Tammy The Hollyhock seeds you're looking for are the ones I'm germinating right now under lights. I found them at a Seed Show in Hamilton ONT at what is known as Seedy Saturday but a local seed distributor called William Dam Seeds Ltd in Dundas Ont has them as well. They are I think easy to grow
Type in Wm Dam Seeds and it should be listed Good luck!
Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here