helenh_gw

day lily pictures

helenh
12 years ago

Click to enlarge. Ignore weeds.

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Love the daylilies. Mine are starting now too but the leaves look ratty because I haven't watered them often enough.

Weeds? what weeds?

I think your garden is looking great!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Nice collection Helen. You have some pretty ones. The third one down (yellow) is unusual. What is that? Are the blooms large?

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a new one planted too close to the other new ones because I had to get them in the ground. It is a spider from Wild's. I have the name somewhere but can't think of it at the moment. I buried the plastic tags near the day lilies thinking I would come back and put in permanent labels then we had the flood. Some of the labels washed out.

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

They're absolutely beautiful and I love that yellow spider one too. I'm sure it's been on my Wild's list several times now without my actually ordering.

• Nixagardener
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love that spider one! I love daylilies.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Nixagardener, you have probably posted before, but I don't remember so welcome to our gardening group. Nixa is where my Mom was from.

I still have that 'nursery' row of very mature daylilies in the garden....been planning to move them for years! Mostly they are the pale yellow Hyperion, and one very tall Hyperion that seems to be sport. It is a good foot taller than the others. I think there are a couple of others in there too.
    The row is about 25 feet long....

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When it blooms can you smell a fragrance from any distance. I like the tall ones.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Beautiful daylilies! The flowers on some of mine have been smaller than usual, I suspect because of the dry weather we had in June when the buds were developing.

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

Only a dog hater would put stakes in the flower beds. Myself I have been over run with wild turkeys scratching up mulch and taking dirt baths. We are enjoying laughing at the gawky young'ns. The flowers are nice but unexpected. I had heard that there was nothing but tomatoes because of a bad element on gardenweb influencing you.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They all look the same after a while, but I enjoy very much going out in the morning to see what opened. These are old ones pretty common nothing fancy. I thought I ordered too many new ones since I don't have places for them, but waiting to see what they look like is fun. Seedlings are really fun; I don't have any of those that are mature enough to bloom. I always do crosses but then I don't follow through and take care of the babies. I have some in a pot now. They look like grass and it will be a couple years if I take care of them. It is exciting to see your seedlings bloom. I have some of my crosses from a few years ago and still like them. No one else would be impressed. Day lilies are so forgiving. If you don't water them, they look ratty but they don't die. Other plants can smother them and if you dig them out and take care of them, they will come out of their slump.

Peggy, smarty behind why don't you post a link to your California album. I think everyone would like to see the pictures even though we may not grow the same plants. At least I don't make my dogs do tricks for treats; my dogs get treats whether they deserve them or not.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21