Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Dinner from the garden

gldno1
14 years ago

I hope I have pork steak in the freezer.

{{gwi:1113879}}

Comments (9)

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

That looks so good. You are making me hungry.
    That reminds me I need to check my potatoes.
    Bonnie : )

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Nice Glenda. I bet you had a good dinner.
    Do you cook the beets with pork steak? I've never found a way to like those.
    The tops on my potatoes are starting to die back already. Is it early? I'm going to dig one up to today to see how big the potatoes have gotten but I don't have much confidence. I planted mine a little late. I'm wondering if I should've kept them watered better during that hot weather.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Pretty!. I am envious of your potatoes. We grow them every year and every year they have scab. Dawn on the Ok forum last year said that solarizing the soil the year previously might prevent it, and I did last year but it wasn't very hot, so I hope this year will be more successful. I have also read that too alkaline soil will promote scab so next year the potatoes get an oak leaf mulch.
    Christie, here in the southern edge of z6 we always eat new potatoes in June and dig the whole plot early in July. This year stuff is a little later, but some of my potato plants have died back.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Yum!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie my potatoes are about ready to dig too. I think the hot weather does them in no matter when you plant.

I just boil the beets, slip the skin and then do harvard beets or just butter and a little vinegar. I didn't like the golden ones as well as the red....won't do them again.

I have never had scab on potatoes; the only evil I fight are Colorado Potato Beetles.

• kjfmz
    14 years ago

Dinner was had from my garden yesterday, too! I sure do hope that deer enjoyed it... Apparently I'd forgotten to put the repellant on for a few days. At least someone is eating from my garden!!

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Oh no! So sorry Kjfmz. That's disappointing. I caught a mockingbird stealing my blueberries this week. I've been meaning to buy some kind of net but haven't gotten one yet and they're all disappearing before I get any.

I dug up some potatoes today. They're slightly smaller than a tennis ball. The vines are pretty much dead so I think that's as big as they're going to get. Bet they'll taste good though.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I plant a few potatoes just for new potatoes; I like the way they taste with lots of butter. Store potatoes taste OK to me; I can't tell a difference on the mature ones. It is dark but I may get a few new potatoes tonight. I haven't seen a copperhead yet but it is time for them in July. Then I won't be going out at night.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like to boil up a large pan of them. Then refrigerate and fry in butter whenever we want some.

I don't see much difference in the store potatoes either. I guess I just do some for storage out of habit. Be interesting to see how these turn out.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm