Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Early June flowers

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I found a day when it wasn't raining and took some pictures in my yard.

First Echinacea to open for me this year. It's an offspring of 'Magnus'.

Gaillardia 'Burgundy'

Rose Campion

My mother's hydrangea a little wilted from the heat

My first lily to open. I got this in a trade and don't know what it is. Pretty color though.

Ice Plant Delosperma 'Stardust'

What's blooming now for you?

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Christie, your flowers are beautiful, especially that dark red Asiatic lily. Mine have all but disappeared, I need to try to dig them up and relocate them.

I like the delosperma too; never done that one.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I forgot to say, I planted lychnis this year due to you talking about it and I am loving it very much. I took a picture, but it didn't turn out nearly as well as yours...won't be posting it.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Christie! You make me homesick...

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Your flowers are so pretty !
    The deer have pruned my Echinacea, so they will have to bush out again before there are very many blooms. :-(
    I have both the magenta and the white Campions.
    My Gailardia is in a pot and not very vigorous. It would probably die completely if planted in the ground.
    The voles have eaten most of my lily bulbs, and the few that try to grow, the deer and rabbits eat ! I do have a pretty pink one that I left in it's pot and am growing it on the deck. It is blooming now.

Here are 2 of the latest hooved rodents to take up residence in our yard. They are young bucks, with newly emerging antlers covered in velvet.

{{gwi:164618}}

They are bedded down in my former vegetable garden spot.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Marian, they sure look pretty and right at home there! I love seeing them, but don't want them messing around in my gardens..........My sis in Iowa is bothered with them. She has taken pictures of what I would call a herd in her lower yard, 10-15 of them at one time. They haven't come all the way to her house but have damaged some shrubs and trees at the edges of the yard.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No wonder it's a "former" vegetable garden plot.
    No deer problems here but I've been seeing more rabbits than last year. I nearly stepped on a baby hiding in the grass by my flower garden. It startled me when it ran away.

My verbena 'Homestead Purple' has made it through two winters now and has spread into a big patch. It's been so pretty this year.

I layered a couple stems last year and transplanted them. They were alive at the end of summer but didn't come back this spring.

• bekcgarden
    15 years ago

We have a lot blooming and it's wonderful!

Penstemon
    delphiniums
    rose
    lavender
    dianthus (several varieties)
    snapdragons
    hollyhocks
    bee balm(several varieties)
    agastache
    sweet william
    spider wort
    astilbe
    clematis
    stock
    balloon flowers (several varieties)
    verbascum
    new Guinea impations
    poppy mallow
    asiatic lilies (two varieties)
    hosta
    bell flowers (several varieties)

still waiting on day lilies, among others. The columbine, bleeding hearts, irises are done.

I have photos, but don't know if I can post them. I tried the other day, but was rejected, due to size of photo.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bekcgarden - Your yard must be beautiful!
    I put my photos on Photobucket. If you happen to use that one, I might be able to help you figure out how to to post your pictures. I don't know how to use anything else but could help you search Gardenweb for instructions. There's probably a post somewhere that explains how to do it.
    Fourseasons - Are you planting any flowers there?

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Christie, you were lucky to get Homestead Purple to last that long....I got one season on mine.

becgarden, you need a photo hosting website such as Photobucket. To save time on uploading to Photobucket, I use Irfanview (free downloadable software) to reduce the pics to 800x600 and then upload to Photobucket.

You may have editing software that came with your camera that you can downsize the photos with...then post to a photo host. It just saves a lot of time to reduce them first.

I sure hope you figure it out. I want to see those elusive delphiniums......and all the rest.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Hi Christie ~ Yes, I've been doing a lot of gardening here but I'm like Bekcgarden... I don't know how to post pictures! I'll try to figure it out ... I just bought a hydrangea this weekend that looks like your Mom's, as a matter of fact, and am looking for the right spot to plant it! Nursery guy told me that the deep shady spots under my mango tree would be great for it ... I'm dubious, but I'll give it a try...

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?