Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

gray hairstreak anyone?

sweetwm007
16 years ago

i bought a butterfly chart to help identify these critters.

we have quite a few daily. some of them fly so fast and erractically that i will never be able to know for sure.

william

Comments (6)

• ceresone
    16 years ago

William, I just looked them up, and no, I dont have any this year. My yellow ones that usually show up on my Bee Balm are absent this year, actually, I have only seen 2 butterflies this year. My hummingbird population is wayy down too, as is the bugs in my garden.I dont know if its entirely the hard late freeze we had, or being so dry here. I dont miss the bugs!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Are they tiny William? I think I've seen them if they are. I've seen some little grayish purple butterflies hanging around muddy areas. I think they get minerals from the mud.

I haven't been seeing many butterflies yet here either. I had some tiny monarch caterpillars on my milkweed last week but they've disappeared. I have some rue and bronze fennel that I've been watching for swallowtail cats and had three big ones that either got eaten or crawled off to pupate.

I see some kind of butterflies occasionally coming to the orange halves I put out for my Baltimore Orioles. Bananas and watermelon work good to attract butterflies too.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yep, they are small but i'm not quite sure that is it. we have a lot of butterflies daily. the most common looks to be the spicebush swallowtail. i have seen a few zebra swallowtails. what i would really like to see is a hummingbird moth!

the hummers aren't around much either. gonna change the feeder today.

the baltimore orioles are gone also.

william

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I have'nt seen many butterflys or moths either and we always have a couple Luna moths around every year plus swallowtails and others.
    Christie, my rue's not blooming yet and the swallowtails love my sedum and it's not blooming yet either.
    Hummers are a differant story.I think they've decided to all meet on our mountain this year. My neighbor and DD is using about 5 lbs of sugar every other day right now.
    vickie

• gldno1
    16 years ago

william, my butterfly population is down some too. We had up to ll hummingbirds earlier in the season, but now are down to just 5.

I have seen a hummingbird moth around the flowers several times this week. They sure do look like a hummer!

I keep watching my dill for caterpillars but so far have seen none.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago

We had a lot of butterflies in April and May, but their numbers seem to have shrunk since June started. Of course, we are having our 15th straight day of rain today, and maybe they don't like the rain.

Here in southern Oklahoma, we have seen a lot of these this year: Black Swallowtails, Zebra Swallowtails, Spicebush Swallowtails, Monarchs, Bordered Patches, Question Marks, Mourning Cloaks, Buckeyes, Painted Ladies, a lot of the different checkered ones, and a few Sulphurs. Usually we have great numbers of Sulphurs so I don't know where they have gone. Again, it might be the rain.

We had the Luna moths for a few days earlier in the month and did, in fact, have more of them than usual. I haven't seen any in the last week or so though.

There are a lot of moths around, but I don't know the names of most of them. We have had some hummingbird moths, mostly the White-Lined Sphinxes, and also the clearwings. Our hummingbird moth population is usually largest in the late July to late August timeframe.

Hummingbirds were around quite a bit from May through early June, but I am not seeing a lot of them lately, just 3 or 4 a day.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville