Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Corn

Posted by oldgardenguy60 Mo. (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 15:41

Corn earworms I found an old issue of Organic Gardening (1983) and someone sent in a suggestion to dust the ears with lime to prevent earworms. has anyone ever heard of or tried this ? I put some pickling lime in an old salt shaker and dusted the silk on my patch of Kandy Corn. will update in a couple weeks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Corn

I don't grow corn but I have heard of using mineral oil on the silk for the worms. I love corn but my soil is thin. I can hardly wait to buy some from produce stands; sometimes you get good corn there sometimes not. My father used to plant sweet corn by the creek and I helped my mother freeze it. I used to get half. Blanched and frozen properly it keeps its good taste.

o

So far so good no sign of worms yet but have noticed a lot of ladybugs this year way more than the last several years they eat the young worms and eggs so maybe that and the lime will do the trick , should be picking a few ears this week

o

I quit using anything for ear worms. I get some damage but nothing I can't live with. Mine isn't nearly near the ear stage!

My worst damage with be from raccoons. We just caught a big one in a trap in the chicken yard. Something dug under the fence and killed two chickens....probably the raccoon.

o

Glenda, if you sprinkle hydrated lime around your block of corn, the raccoons won't cross it. At least that worked for us.
Sunny

o

I even have a bag of hydrated lime in the barn. How wide a line?
I am definitely going to try that this year.

o

I think Tim made the lines a foot wide (?), but that was some time ago! I'm guessing, though. I'd think at least 6 inches wide -- that's what I'd do now. But/And it worked, The nice fellow at the feed store told us about hydrated lime, Glenda.
Sunny

o

Less damage than in the past can't say that the lime helped I had planted radishes as companion plants in my squash and on the end of the corn that adjoined it had no damage about three rows the other 9 rows had about 50% damage. planting second crop and will intermix radishes with the whole patch,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here