Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Gardening Week of June 4

gldno1
16 years ago

I haven't done much because of my foot, but decided to give it a shot today before the weeds got out of control.

I tied up the tomatoes for the first time....I always wait 3 weeks later than I should!. Put down another two bales of hay mulch around them and some raspberries.

Weeded the blackberry patch.

Planted another flat of onions that I was going to toss but decided to plant them between the recently planted grapevines. Worked out well.

Started the work on the little bed by the back door, a planter actually, got the two Jack Frost brunneras in, have yet to plant the polygonatum and lenten rose I bought at the Master Gardener's Sale.

Planted another hill of cucumbers and some along a fence, a pickling variety, two hills of pie pumpkin and discovered that an earlier planting of "something" in the squash family has come up. I still need to plant a row of okra, but the ground is still too wet to work too much.

All in all, not to bad for me! Foot is still bothering me a lot.

Hope you all are getting lots done.

Comments (15)

• lilion
    16 years ago

Can't say I've done all that much this week, but thought I might share some photos.

My tomato jungle...

Monster zuke and turnips shading out everything else.
    {{gwi:49448}}
    My most prolific tomato - must be 2 dozen on it!

See how tiny it really is!

My container veggies. (The tomato in the black container is NOT my fault - it was given to me by a friend who was trying hard to kill it! See my pepper problems. Believe it or not, the one on the left looks way better than it did. Sad, sad peppers this year!)
    {{gwi:34807}}
    And finally, my petunia/swiss chard planter with the baby cukes in the background!
    {{gwi:10038}}

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alys, great pictures. Everything is looking good. I love the planter with the petunias and chard (don't like eating chard though!)

It seems to take peppers forever to take off. Mine in the garden have a few peppers, but still aren't very big yet.

Do you plan to put the cucs on trellises or just let them wander?

• oakleif
    16 years ago

alys, enjoyed your pictures. you had some pretty tomato plants.
    My daylilies are starting to bloom and the red blaze roses. The chammille is a big patch of white.
    My three baby phoebe birds are getting so big i'm afraid they'll fall out of the nest.I have'nt seen the baby house wrens tho. There was a pair of mourning doves in my yard yesterday. I guess they've a nest somewher near.
    Our bear is hanging around about 5 miles south of here but he'll probably be back.
    vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Alys - Thanks for taking time to post photos. I love seeing photos of other people's gardens. Your petunias are beautiful. I've never had good luck with those.

Gld - What happened to your foot. I don't remember reading about that. I think you'll like your Jack Frost brunneras. I got one from a trader a few years ago and it seems pretty easy to grow. I have a seedling coming up this year that is variegated and looks like it might be a Jack Frost baby.

Vickie - I had to look up a picture of a Phoebe (Eastern Phoebe?). I'm not sure I've ever seen one. Most of the birds I'm familiar with are just the ones that will come up to my feeder. I enjoy wildlife but I'm not a bit jealous of your bear. I like putting out bird seed but would probably feel like I needed to stop feeding the birds if a bear learned where the feeder was. I used to throw out scraps into our fence row until I almost threw some onto a skunk coming up to look for food.

I haven't done a lot of gardening this week. I have managed to plant a few more seedlings (and need to water them) and have pulled a few weeds but not as many as what have sprouted.
    I gave up on my Red Fairy Rose coming back and dug it up - another late freeze victim. I'd had it for a few years in a large container and I could've covered it or moved it up close to the house if I'd know it would DIE. grrrr

• lilion
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the nice words.

Christie, they are Wave petunias. I swear by them in planters - they really do well.

Vickie, You have a BEAR near you??? What part of Arkansas are you in? You know, a couple of years ago my husband and I found a bear track in a large public park here in town, we called conservation, but it was in the snow and so didn't last long enough for us to prove it...I don't think anyone ever really paid attention.

Gldno1, I don't like cooked chard, but I'd been told that it's much like spinach if you eat it raw in salads and that's true, it is quite good that way. And it's just so darn pretty! The cukes are Spacemasters and I plan on letting them kind of wander. The concrete might get a bit hot though - it's an unused space by my front door. I don't know if you can tell, but they are on a landing, to the side of my garage doors and about 1/2 was up - I'm hoping they'll kind of trail down the wall. I hope your foot is getting better.

Alys

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Wonderful rain is falling!! My garden really needed it.
    I tied up my tomatoes for the first time yesterday, figured in the winds I'd better get busy. Lima beans are coming up spotty,will replant some on the 15 th, according to the moon. green beans are doing good, so are the cucumbers, rain will really help. Pulling lettuce for the chickens, I gave them the spinach too, as I'd put up all we needed. First time I knew spinach came back better sfter its cut off.
    Meant to count my tomato plants too, but didnt--something over 80. couple of them have a strange blossum, looks like a dandelion.
    Cutting down on how often I mow the lawn too, price of diesel, just to make sure it looks good for people to drive by? Plus time consuming.
    Glenda, I looked back thru the posts too--what happened to your foot? hope its all healed now. My hand is in good shape--tender tho. will have the right done later.
    Hubby seems to be having more problems with his mind now--short term memory isnt any good--but he's getting things mixed up in the past now, didnt know his brother when he stopped by. Has to have me constantly in sight--sits in a chair in the garden while i tend to it--when he goes outside, he watches me thru the window inside.
    Was up a lot last night, (LOL, can you tell?) had a racoon raiding the bluebird houses. one is on the bedroom wall, so his banging it around woke me. I'll set up the live trap tonight, one way or enother, he must move on.
    Hope everyone that needed it got rain--and this is my week.

• arkie62
    16 years ago

Anyone else have Mums blooming? These bloomed in the fall last year, but I guess with all the crazy weather we had earlier they got confused. Sorry about the size of the picture, new at this.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Ceresone your DH's memory and behavior sounds so much like my DH. Mine is getting close to 81, how old is yours?
    Actually, your entire post could have been written by me...except for the info on the tomatoes and other veggies.
    A large male raccoon had me up last night. He raided my potted plants on the deck, but only damaged one long container full of lobelia, alyssum, and caladiums. Most of the damage was to the stirring up of the soil. The plants appear to be okay. I went out at 1 A.M. to repot them! The culprit was on the front porch when I switched on that light. That was before I discovered the digging on the deck. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time laying in bed trying to figure out how to prevent a future attack, and jumping back up to see if he had returned. Yarrgh!
    Last year I concocted cages around a lot of the containers after many were uprooted. I am not really wanting to do that again. I had sprinkled red pepper on the soil of most of the pots that I think may be tempting to coons, but failed to pepper that one! The peppered ones were not touched.

The storms reached us at 6 this morning. At 7:15 the lightning put our power out. The crackle was SO loud...I thought it had got our transformer. ( I about jumped out of my skin! ) Thankfully breakfast was over.

I had an appointment for a medical checkup at 9:15 this morning, and was getting ready in the dark when the phone rang. It was the dr's office saying she was sick! So I am rescheduled for next Wed. morning. I consider that the providence of God! :-)

Arkie, mine has only three blooms...but I am enjoying it anyway...
    {{gwi:1114142}}
    Hopefully it will have more later.

One of our local does ,(with fawn in our woods),was busily chomping down my purple coneflowers this morning. She was reluctant to leave even after I went out with the camera to get her pictures. I ran her off, but she soon returned, and I ran her off again! She had a mouth full of a plant the first time, and apparently wanted more! Double YARRGH !
    Oh the joys of living in the wild Ozarks!

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I am another who was wondering about Gld's foot problem. I looked for the post about what happened, but couldn't find it.

• seadreamer
    16 years ago

Hello all, I'm new here, although I've lurked for quite awhile. I've enjoyed reading your gardening threads such as this one and enjoy the pics too.

We finally got a trellis built for our 'maters last week and got them tied up. I'm trying a bunch of heirlooms this year, although the tags fell out, so aside from the Striped Sausage, I don't know which is which. I still have the tags so will ID them soon enough.

I've got potatoes taking over one side of my raised bed, cukes between the tomatoes, some squash coming up, and lettuce scattered all around. I'm not sure if it's too late for lettuce or not.

We moved up from Florida last year, so this is my first year gardening here. I'm so excited about all the new varieties I can grow.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Now this ole gal is pretty spooky looking! I took this with the flash on, this forenoon, after running her off from my Purple Coneflower patch twice.
    {{gwi:1114144}}
    It wasn't dark, just cloudy and foggy.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Beautiful photos! My mums aren't blooming yet. Some people keep them pinched until the end of June/first of July. I usually pinch mine at least once in the spring but this year they just don't really look like they need it. I think the late freeze pinched them for me.
    Ceresone - So glad to hear you finally got your share of the rain. A hug for you and Marian. Sounds like you're both going through a tough time.
    Seadreamer - Welcome! Glad you're joining in.
    Arkie - I only know how to fix the size of the photo if you happen to be using Photobucket. At their site, you can go to "options" right above Browse and it will let you change the size of the photo as you upload it. Mine is set to "max image size: 640 x 480". If you're using something other than Photobucket, I'm sure someone will know how to adjust it. I love the large photos but I'm still using a dial-up connection and even the medium sized ones take too long too load on my computer. I probably need to switch to thumbnails and I used to know how to do that. I think you go to "Generate HTML and IMG code" at the bottom of the page on Photobucket.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Thanks for the hug,Christie. I need all that I can get.It is a tough row to hoe!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I thought I had told everyone what I did to my foot...must have been another thread.

I was trimming the front ditch and twisted it someway. It is in the sole of my left foot, not the ankle. It is getting slowly better (I think). Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear some rain is falling south. We have missed these last two fronts.

Ceresone and Marian, I think of you often with your health issues for both you and your husbands. We never know when that kind of thing will happen to either us our our loved ones....bless you both during this stressful time. How wonderful that you have your gardening to ease you through.
    Sometimes hard work is a very good thing.

Gorgeous mums....mine seem to have disappeared this year and the new ones I planted are just sitting there...doing nothing. Probably should water them today. I used to have a summer blooming yellow one.

I found a volunteer or left from last year's planting of the rainbow swiss chard...I will try it raw in a salad...it is growing amongst the potatoes...only found it because it has yellow stalks.

I gave up and sprayed the potatoes with Sevin to try to eliminate the Colorado Potato Beetles that have found my garden. I also finally sprayed the entire bottle of Over the Top on my patches of Bermuda. Wow, it takes a lot of spray to a gallon....pretty expensive stuff.

Hoed out and hilled up the corn...need to hoe the onions.

Pulled weeds from the strawberries and one flower bed.

I am beginning to see some results of the Round-up edging here and there. I haven't used it in years, but succumbed to it again.

The daylilies are beginning to bloom. My seedlings haven't bloomed yet, but have buds on some of the plants. The others may have to wait another season. This is the first time I have done my own seeds so don't know what to expect.
    Will post some pics if they aren't too ugly to bear.

We are running up to St. Louis Sunday for our GD's dance recital...I may try to get DH to stop off at Homestead Daylilies in Owensville on the way home Monday. They should have some blooms now I hope. They show a beautiful watermelon pink one on their website that I would love to have by my honeysuckle vine.

I forgot...sometime back someone mentioned grubbing for new potatoes; my folks called it "graveling". I just did that and they were way too big....I need to try my later row before they get that size.

Ceresone, I retied my tomatoes too because of the very strong winds. I am seeing the very full blooms too; but so far, not too many tomatoes have set on. I received some free seeds from Jungs for one called Wayahead and it is bush-like and hanging full of little ones.

I took some pics yesterday morning in the overcast early morning but for some reason they are fuzzy. I may post a few anyway.

Glenda

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I live in a fairly isolated part of Natinal Forest. So bears come through every now and then but this one wants to make his home here. He's been in my yard near my porch several times and punched a hole in a barrel holding cans in my DD,s yard. We will call the rangers to come get him if he don't leave soon. Our dogs are in tall fenced pens and can come in house through doggie doors if threatened but other neighbors have livestock plus it could still be dangerous if it has a cub.DON'T KNOW IF ITS A SHE OR HE.

Eastern phoebes are fly catchers and also eat mosquitoes. Those we've plenty of. The babies have flown the nest now. I've got seed eaters too but havent fed them since DD got 2 cats. She does though and has fixed feeders on a pole so cats can't climb it.

gld think of me when you go to homesteadfarms i got most of my daylilies there. I plan on going sometime.Hope your foot gets better soon.

ceresone and marion, my prayers are with you. Is there a support group near you. I hear they are a great help. I was diagnosed with Alzhimers but when i kept getting better they changed it to a stroke of some kind.

seadreamer, we grew heirloom tomatoes several years and the taste were so good(each different)
    If you get a chance try Drusba. It comes from the mediterrainian (sp) it's the first to ripen and lasts through heat and drought till frost, has a good taste,and is a medium sized tomato,is indeterminate.

arkie, your picture of the mum was just right for me. Beautiful color I wish i could post pictures but don't have the equipment.

We got a good rain too.
    vickie