Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Eden Falls

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I have some photos from our trip to Eden Falls near Ponca Arkansas.

We spent more than two hours hiking to the falls and cave and back again. We were taking our time though - to enjoy the beautiful scenery and because mom (me) kept saying slow down. I was pretty much exhausted by the time we got back.

I don't know if you can see it but the little dot at the back of the first picture is a tunnel that you can go through to get to the other side.

Here's a picture of the falls:

I saw lots of woodland plants along the way. I think this is Golden Seal:

Lotsa ferns:

And Solomon's Seal I think:

I need to put some more of my pictures on Photobucket. There were a few plants that I didn't recognize. Maybe someone will know what they are if I post them.

Our kids really enjoyed this trip and we did too. It's the first time we've taken them hiking really. We couldn't have done something like this when our twins were younger but they're old enough now that I don't have to worry about them taking off and getting lost in the woods. Feel free to comment on other good places in the Ozarks to go hiking or other waterfalls. It's funny that it's not all that far away and yet we'd never heard of it.

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

christie, I always wonder about people going off to "exotic" places when we live in the Ozarks!

I have never heard of Ponca Falls either. I am not up for the hiking but it sure is a beautiful place.

I bet the kids had a ball.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The drive was beautiful too. The Ozarks area where WE live isn't nearly as hilly as scenic.

From the trail, we could look up and see some very high bluffs that were quite impressive. My DH's buddy said when he hiked the trail, there were people repelling off of them. We didn't get to see anyone do that while we were there though. The trees blocked the view of some of the bluffs. It would also be nice to go back some time when they aren't leafed out so we could see the view better.

That bottom picture may be False Solomon's Seal. I don't know how to tell them apart unless they're blooming.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Christie, you were 10-15 miles from where we live! I was at lost Valley only once with the Extension Homemaker's group, but didn't hike any of the trails. There are many beautiful places in this area.

• pauln
    15 years ago

Very nice Christie! I love Lost Valley, one of my favorite day-hikes in the Ozarks. I was there January a year ago on a day of 6 inches of rain. It was amazing! Everywhere we looked were waterfalls, even the steps leading to the cave were a series of cascades. By the way, this cave is one of the easiest "wild" caves around. You've got to have a flashlight, but as you enter the cave, keep to the right and you'll find a tunnel that will shortly lead to a little waist high ledge that you'll have to scoot down. Then duck under a rock, and you're inside a cool round room with a waterfall coming from the ceiling. If you miss the tunnel, you've got to crawl along the creek (not recommended).

If you ever go there with high water (the usually dry creek is running) be sure to check out the groovy waterfall on the return trip. As the trail heads down to rejoin the trail alongside the creek, look on your right where a small shelf waterfall dissappears behind the shelf only to reappear on down the hillside. Nothing to write home about, but I'm easily amused.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marian - If you saw a van go by with its brakes smoking that was us. lol What a beautiful area you live in.

My oldest kids went all the way to the back of the cave to see the waterfall but I didn't. I didn't know how much of it would be on my hands and knees so I waited outside. Paul - Have you been on any other "easy" hikes in the area that you could recommend.

Someone in the Name that Plant forum said she could see Uvularia Perfoliata (Bellwort) in one of my pictures which I think is the same as the leaves in the last photo above. I just assumed it was Solomon's Seal but the stems go through the leaves toward the bottom. Here's a pic from the web of what it looks like in bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I should have recognized the Bellwort! I have it growing in my wildflower bed. It is spreading into other places, but that is fine with me. I am better with recognizing flowers than I am leaves. :-(

We live 2 miles off the highway, on a deadend road, so do not see much traffic.

• pauln
    15 years ago

Christie, let me think for a minute about easy hikes. The Buffalo Trail has some nice spots along it. The one from Ponca to Steel Creek is quite nice. Depending on how much time you have, you can tailor the distance to suit your needs. During low water you can take the Horse Trail which is an old road trace and stays in the valley. No hills, but you have to cross the river several times. If steep hills get to you, then avoid the Hemmed in Hollow trail. Also, the trail up Indian Creek is amazing, but not recommended to any but the most hale and hardy and sure of foot. Anytime you see "chocolate milk" colored algae on a wet rock PROCEDE WITH THE UTMOST OF CAUTION. I've seen that chocolate milk put people on their faces before they even knew they were going down.

Alum Cove near Jasper is a really nice short hike. It goes by a great natural bridge, and into a valley with cool rock formations. Be sure to enjoy the beech and umbrella magnolia trees. A bit further south is Pedastle Rocks near Pelsor. Some more excellent rock formations and a wet weather waterfall. Also near Pelsor is Haw Creek Falls campground which I intend to explore soon. Hideout Hollow near Compton is another nice day hike. Further east in the Buffalo Point area is Indian Rockhouse Cave. A nice hike leads past a waterfall, some sinkholes, and dandy waterslide creeks to a large shelter cave with some formations and a real cave area on one end. You'll need a flashlight to explore very far back. I don't know just how far back you can go.

Several caves are closed due to endangered bats. This includes Bat Cave near Boxley, and Arkansas Cave along Indian Creek. There are signs telling of the closing, and I think they've got motion detectors and cameras just in case anybody thinks the law doesn't apply to them. Also, Fitton (Beauty) Cave near Compton has gates over the entrances. It is sposta be magical inside there with a huge room and several passageways. People can enter this cave with a permit along with some people who are familiar with this cave. I'm not much of a caver, so I'm not much help here. Caving is one of those things that seem like more fun when you've finished than when you actually are in it. Of course developed caves can be really nice and only require walking and holding on to the handrail. Blanchard Springs near Mt. View is world class. There are several other developed caves with walkways and lights that are privately owned throughout the Ozarks. If you go to Blanchard, there's a nice trail along the Sylamore Creek, and a neat spot where a waterfall emerges from the cave.

Up your way, I really enjoyed Greer Springs near Thayer. A nice little hike leads down a hill to the impressive spring and also another spring coming out of a cave.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Paul - Thank you so much for all that info. I'll keep it for a reference next time we go. Blanchard Springs sounds familiar. I believe I've been there before but it was many years ago - when hiking didn't seem like exercise. lol

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Christie, My husband bought me a book called, "Arkansas Waterfalls Guidebook" by Tim Ernst. It has all the waterfalls in Arkansas and Eden Falls was in it. I love your pictures and I hope to get to go to some of the wonderful sites people have mentioned.
    Ann

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann - Thank you! I never thought to check the library but I checked just now on their website and they do have that book so I put it on hold.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Christie-Your welcome. The author also has several other books. One is for short hikes in Ark. and the other one is about short outings in Ark.. I also have a teenager and he loves to hike or just been in the woods. Unfortunately we live in town, so we go on short hiking trips. Have a great Day!
    Ann