helenh_gw

Day lily and other pictures from my yard

helenh
13 years ago

It is hot out here. Click to enlarge.

Comments (10)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Oooh I love that daylily! What a pretty color!
    Love the container too.
    Do you have fish in your pond?

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I cheated. I had already looked at the album. I signed up so they notify me by email when you post new ones. I hope that is OK.

I can't grow pink daylilies! They always look peachy to me. Maybe my daughter is right and I am getting color blind.

I love the coleus with the purple plant.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glenda no one else is that interested in my flowers. Thanks Most of my day lilies are melon colored, orange, or yellow. The descriptions of day lilies are not accurate when it comes to pink

. Fairy Tale Pink is peach.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I have Fairy Tale Pink. Joylene Nicole is the closest to pink in my garden.

I just checked out your new additions this morning. You have some very pretty ones. I don't think mine are as nice this year because of the extreme heat and lack of rain.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Hey I'M interested. : ) I never get tired of looking at flowers.
    I've never bought any daylilies. I think because I get overwhelmed with how many varieties there are. I know I would like anything that's long blooming or repeats.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Christie, I don't have any of those that they claim bloom all summer like Stella d'Oro. I may try a few just to see if it is true.

BTW, my Champagne Elegance iris is reblooming. It must like heat!

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie, you can get day lilies when they have sales at Nathaniel Greene Park. I happened to go there once not knowing about the sale. The sale was over and they were packing up. I got some for half price. There are many nice ones and some of the older ones are cheap. There are too many to know the names. If you make a list from pictures on line, you get frustrated trying to find them. Strawberry Candy is common enough to find and blooms longer than most for me. The good thing about day lilies is that they bloom in June before the summer drought hits usually. If we have a wet June you don't have to worry about them after that. I think they will survive pretty well with out water, they just don't so look good.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Photobucket is a way to see if you have the same daylily planted in different places. When I dug them up there were pieces that I planted in different places in my yard. It is easier to see the resemblance in pictures than it is in the yard. Also some seedlings look very similar to their parent.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

All very pretty. Are your seedlings volunteers or do you have to start them under lights?

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie it is very fun to take a stamen of a pretty one and rub it on the pistil of another. I don't take good care of the resulting seeds though. If I would take the time to have some big pots of potting mix to throw the seeds in when the pods split, it would be easy to grow new day lilies. Several years ago I was really in to this. I crossed Stella with everything I had that I thought was pretty. I have some day lilies from those crossings. I like them but they would not win any awards. Also there is an old day lily called Cashmere which is fragrant; it was another I played with. Stawberry Candy is a good one to set pods. Not all crosses result in seeds. The biggest problem with this interesting job is finding places to plant the little day lilies. Each pod makes about 25 seeds.