Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

mid season garden report

sweetwm007
15 years ago

indeterminate tomatoes are not setting fruit well. the 3 best are silvery fir tree [det], anna's noir and brandyboy f1. the determinates are doing very good.

planted fancy crookneck squash this yr from totally tomatoes and the yields are very large. squash taste good too.

planted 4 varieties of cucumbers and they are all doing very good.

florence fennel is going like crazy.

pole beans starting to put on pods.

eggplant is kinda slow. 4 different varieties.

the peppers are the biggest disappointment. had great luck in containers last yr and they are languishing this yr and have mottled leaves. i don't have a clue. i just moved them today for more sun. who knows?!

hope all are ok in missouri!

william- in yellville

Comments (8)

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well. it will sound strange to some Mo. people, but we're beginning to need rain!
    Container tomatoes on the deck are moving mostly to the garden tomorrow, might leave 2 cherry tomatoes there--Black and Isis Candy.
    I havent grown corn in years, but this year its almost waist high, ans such a beautiful green.
    Eating zuccinni, but yellow scallop slow growing. Dried Zuccinni chips, didnt care for them. Fennel? What good is it? Coming up all over my garden, I'm chopping down all but the parent from last year, it goes soon. (Sorry, Wm, I just dont know what to do with it!)
    Have green tomatoes big as my hand.
    Have cherries, and snap peas in the freezer.
    Peppers blooming, but not doing well, seems they arent much taller than they were at setting out stage.
    Carrots growing good, and I've found we love Kolarabi, must plant more. like a improved turnip.
    My biggest project of the year is my compost pile! Building like in Four Seasons gardening book.With straw bales, but My, It sure dosent take long to add up, started last Thursday, pile is over 3', have 3 more acres to mow, and 2 barns to clean.
    Took the DR to my ornamental grasses yesterday, going to Roundup a second time.
    So--How's YOUR garden?

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I'm growing fennel but only for the black swallowtails to munch on. Don't put any pesticides on it and watch for caterpillars. You'll have a lot of butterflies around your yard if you keep it. I've had Bronze Fennel for a few years. It's more ornamental since it has purplish foliage and is perennial. This year I planted seeds for regular fennel. I assume it will be perennial too. ??? My advice is to deadhead it if you don't want volunteers next year.

Ceresone - If you wish for rain, please wish for mine because I've had enough for awhile. We still haven't cut hay and I'm worried about our basement flooding again. Our 10 day forecast at Weather.com had a chance for rain on every single day. Are the rivers and lakes still full where you are even though you need rain?

I pulled a bunch of my onions even though it was a little early. I though they were starting to rot. They've been completely under water a couple times with all this rain and some of them were brown around the tops. After I brought them in and washed off the mud, I could tell there was just mud down inside the skins that made them look rotten so I think they're going to be ok.

I planted watermelons around mid June but a few of them got the tops munched off after they sprouted. I think I only have four or five sprouts left. I'm going to try planting a few more but it's kinda late.

I planted more annual seeds this year than I ever have before. My first zinnia bloomed this week and another flower that I think is pot marigold. I'll have lots of cosmos but they're not blooming yet.

Violet - If you happen to be checking in, I've been eating raspberries. They're wonderful!

I had a couple packs of cucumber seeds that I never planted. Is it too late?

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

christie- plant your cukes. we are planning on a second crop including more squash.

ceresone- good to hear from you. i have the same problem with fennel but i googled up a grill recipe. a 2 hr marinade and grill for 8-16 mins.

how is your san marzano redorta doing?

william

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I will gladly share some rain too! In fact, it is raining again this morning.

Garden is looking good so far.

{{gwi:1114409}}
    {{gwi:1114411}}
    {{gwi:1114413}}
    {{gwi:1114415}}

Had to throw in that last one because I thought the asparagus looked so silvery with all the heavy dew in the early morning light.

The Granny Cantrells have set the most fruit at this point. The various potato leafs seem slow to me to set, but we shall see.

We have had beets, new potatoes, green onions, strawberries, cherries, and black raspberries so far. Oh, and a bell pepper and a couple of banana peppers. Peppers are always slow here to really grow, maybe August before they look like small shrubs. I think we are really getting too much rain for peppers...but what can you do?

Sweet corn is maybe 36 inches and the last rows are just coming up. Sweet potatoes are finally beginning to vine.

I can't stay ahead of the weeds.

I love the lasagna beds with the cattle panels for the tomatoes.

I am late but still plan to do some pumpkin and more squash.

I hate bare ground!

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gldno1- looking very good. i am envious!
    william

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

My that's pretty asparagus. : )

I'm tired of restaurants not serving tomatoes. Wish I had some ready in my garden. Not even close though.

Saw my first Japanese Beetles of the summer yesterday checking out my raspberries.

We finished off the Kohlrabi - We just cut it up and ate it raw this time and loved it. I think I will plant some more for fall.

I need to put a can of Off at every doorway so I'll remember to spray myself before I go out. Just seeing a few mosquitoes now but with all this rain, I'm sure there will be many more soon.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Have picked one cuke. Have 2 types of cukes in 2 containers one is a hybrid and it seems to be dieing, leaves turning yellow and brown and the baby cukes also turning yellow and falling off. The others are staight 8,s planted later but looking good with baby cukes coming on.

Rutger tomatoes doing good with little tomatoes and good blooms. I managed to save two plants from those that i planted from seed. Decided that if they could survive the mistreatment they had to be good plants. Don't know what they are.Have potato leaves and are just blooming.

Have picked lettuce and onions. i just can't learn to like leaf lettuce. Much prefer iceburg.

My pepper plant looks pathetic too ceresone. Maybe it'll pull out of its funk later.

Have been picking and drying leaves of lemon balm,catnip, St Johns wort, peppermint, and mother wort.

Picking a few dewberries and strawberrys.

Anyone want plain shasta daisy seeds for SASE?

Daylillies blooming away. I'm always surprised at the colors and sizes i have,maybe someday i'll label them as to color etc but then i would'nt be surprised. Species hybiscus,purple coneflower,liatris,yellow coneflower,yellow mums and black eyed susans are blooming.

Christie, i've got Off at the door and still forget to spray it on.

My GS has come up for awhile. He has done so much around here that i'm unable to do.Weedeating.mowing,and raking. He's painted the walls of my bathrooms also. He is infact a God send.

I'm thinking about planting a squash plant. Do you guys think one plant would be enough for just me?
    vickie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

vickie, I always plant at least two because of the blasted squash bugs killing them midway through the season. If it weren't for that, one plant one be more than enough!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio