Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

Potent Poison Ivy

oakleif
16 years ago

I heard on one of the news channels yesterday that poison ivy this year is extra potent and even people who are'nt bothered by it are this year. They are blaming it on the extra carbon dioxide in the air.

I don't know about the potency but the plants sure are big and healthy. I thought it was the rain but they are saying it's all over the USA.

Comments (7)

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

So far I have escaped any poisoning although I work around it all the time. I did a lot of weedeating where it grews, so I immediately washed good when I came in , and slathered lots of anti-itch ointment on the exposed areas. I had no reaction, thank goodness.
    Thanks for the 'heads up' warning.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I am quite sensitive to that stuff and somehow manage to get it on my face just about every summer.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I have the darned stuff even in the perennial beds. I sprayed Roundup around the base of the spruce tree and now need to hit some more here and there. I am susceptible to it and am afraid more now than recent years. I have allergies this year that I never had in my life....coughing being the worst offender. I saw that piece on tv about it too.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Here is the report that the news media are quoting. It is interesting to note that they fail to mention that the tests involved a level of CO2 expected to occur during the NEXT CENTURY! and assumes the current rise in CO2 levels will be maintained on a linear scale during that entire period, The report was narrowly limited to vines occuring in forested land and did not address increased crop yields due to the increase in CO2 levels.
    After a serious encounter with the darn weed, while as a youngster, I inhaled the oil laden smoke of some in a brush fire and I will attest that it was no fun eating through a straw and being led around because my eyes were swollen shut! I quickly learned to identify and avoid it!
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Science News

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

razorback. thanks for the link. I take Science News too and somehow missed that one. Omitting the effects on crops is a little like omitting the fact that more northerly latitudes will open up for living during global warming. The more northern countrys are now jockeying for ports when a northern seaway opens up from the Atlantic to the Pacific,including the USA in Alaska.

• pauln
    16 years ago

There's a great product available - Technu. It's got soap and alcohol in it. When you know that you've been in any PI, you rub this stuff on the affected area, wait 5 minutes or so and rinse off in COLD water. This cuts the oils, and the cold water keeps your pores from opening up to let any of the toxins in. I'm not highly allergic, but this really seems to help. I usually have to ask for this product at a pharmacy. It's over-the-counter, but usually hidden. Good luck.

If the climate changes like most scientists agree (those not employed by oil companies) increased CO2 levels will be the least of our concerns.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks paul, I've already got a little on one leg. I'll get some when i'm in town tomorrow.
    I agree about CO2 being the least of our worries.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH