Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saw my first J. Beetle today

Posted by teeandcee Missouri zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 22:38

I was outside this evening admiring my roses and was horrified to see my first J. beetle. I know for a fact my yard is heavily infested because I find grubs each time I dig a hole. This fall I'm having the yard treated with whichever it is you do in the fall (milky spore or nematodes, can't remember right now).

My plan has been to heartlessly clip off all rose blooms when I see the first beetle. Sigh. My David Austin's "The Dark Lady" rose is covered in huge, cranberry blooms too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saw my first J. Beetle today

That is the worst news! I hate those things. I have lost my blackberry crop the last two years to those darned bugs!

I haven't seen any here so far.

I wish I knew how to protect the blackberries.

o

Last year I saw them on May 27 so was hoping they weren't arriving this year at all. Delusional, I know.

Are they destroying the blooms or the plants of your blackberries?

o

Saw 6 tonight. Dang!! Tomorrow off come the roses. I don't know if it'll have any effect but I'm trying it anyway.

o

I saw three yesterday. I beat them to the black raspberries. I picked enough for a batch of jam, 5 cups. They eat the ripe fruit first. The blackberries are in the red stage.

If I tried to eliminate everything they eat from my yard, I would have nothing left!

o

I think they will just find something else in your yard if you cut off the rose blooms. I saw some this morning on Missouri evening primrose. I also tasted stinkbugs and saw a couple on black raspberry and blueberry fruit.

o

I had seen a few everyday for several days, but today they are there in mass. They are eating my crape myrtle leaves and blooms and leaves on my knockout roses :( I hate those things!

o

I'm seeing them here too. I put up a beetle bag on Wednesday and have only caught about a cupful so far. I suspect there will be a lot more soon though.

o

I used a Bayer 3in1 hose end product on the roses. I have no idea if it will help at all or not.

I have seen them on:

roses
cherry tree
sassafras tree
corn
hibiscus moscheutos

I need to go out back and check the new orchard!

I am trying to pick them off as I see them and drown them in a coffee can of water. I suspect it is a loosing battle.

I know they love the elm trees....those they can have!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here