Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

need a coupla suggestions

sweetwm007
16 years ago

i am planning on putting some roses in planter boxes and splitting a cattle panel as an arch. does anyone have a suggestion on climbing roses and the size of the boxes? i want fragrent roses and will make the panels the size of the planter boxes. and no, i did not visit the rose forum. i would like input fom the this geographic area.

william

Comments (9)

• maryo
    16 years ago

What is a cattle panel?

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

William, I believe Kaye can answer this question. She is a rose expert. James

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I grow a few climbing roses. The ones I could recommend as being fragrant, small enough for a planter and very disease resistant are:

Westerland-planted two years ago on the west side of the house

and this is a shot of the entire bush to give you an idea of size:

The other is climbing Pink Don Juan, I can't detect a lot of fragrance, but it is supposed to be. I like the dark, reddish purple foliage and the medium pink bloom. I can't find a picture of it, and the freeze set it back so that it hasn't bloomed yet.
    I also grow a hybrid perpetual that acts somewhat like a climber, Baronne Prevost, very fragrant, pink full bloom, very disease resistant, the freeze didn't hurt it badly. I am going to old garden roses almost exclusively now.

I also grow Awakening and New Dawn, but I am underwhelmed by them so far and so won't recommend them.

I think you are a zone warmer so there are lots more you can grow.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the response.

maryo- there is a post on the board now that shows a picture. cattle panel for pole beans. cattle panels are 16 ft long and about 52 inches wide. they are sturdy and you can do a lot o things with them. they cost about 16 dollars a pc.

william

• seadreamer
    16 years ago

Wow, I didn't know they were THAT cheap! I'm always coming up with ideas for them.

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

William -

What color do you want? I also grow Westerland, and think it is an awesome rose. But you have a lot of choices. In my experience, most Old Garden Roses grow really well here. Aloha is an incredible rose that looks old-fashioned and has a great fragrance. It seems to be totally disease resistant here, and is super-vigorous and hardy. Nothing can stop it - a bloom machine, too. I also grow New Dawn, and I am starting to really like it now after 3 years. It's finally starting to do it's thing - CLIMB HIGH - but it's fragrance is pretty light. I wouldn't confine that one to a planter.

You can grow just about any small climber in a planter, but make those boxes as big as you can manage.

I have to put in a word for David Austin roses, too. This is my first year with them, and I am mega-impressed. If you like yellowy apricot roses with a deep cup shape - almost round as a ball, really - and a powerful fragrance, try Jude the Obscure. Mine is actually in a large pot, and doing great. Everyone who visits my garden zeros in on it - and I have about 70 or so roses. It can be grown as a climber.

Good luck. I actually think, unless you are growing hybrid teas, all roses do exceptionally well here as long as they have good soil.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

robiniaquest, my Aloha is about 6 x 6 and very heavy....it certainly wouldn't work in most planters. But it is a gorgeous rose and the smell is heavenly. Mine is from a cutting of a rose that was probably over 20 years old and I have kept it going for over 20 years by taking cuttings every few years. I did loose two to RRD so now only have one left so this year plan to take several cuttings.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the responses and i am doing research on the web. westerland sounds like a winner.

william

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Take a look at Pink Climbing Don Juan. I forgot it. It has beautiful reddish foliage and is supposed to be fragrant...once again, not very. The size would be good.
    Check out Chamblees Roses online. That is where I get almost all of mine.