Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

I am siphoning the pond

helenh
11 years ago

I drug a couple hoses up the hill through the briers and vines and started a siphon. I am hoping for a thunderstorm although the chances are slim. The pond is low and shallow so that water won't last long. The boys have a deep excavation in the yard deep enough to plant something big but do I dare put anything in their hole?

Comments (4)

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

They've added a chance for rain today Helen so I looked at the radar and there's rain just a little southwest of you. Hope it holds out until it gets here. We could use some too.
    Is the hole in your yard from where a tree was removed? It does make it tempting when you don't have to dig. That's the hardest part. What do you think you might want to put there?

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The boys, Beau, Blackie and Honey dug the hole under a viburnum shrub. The boys have worked hard to get it that deep. I was up all night last night it seems waiting for the yellow spots on the radar to get here. It was coming this way but no rain here. I may have been up because of small ticks that I got on the way to the pond. I put on insect repellant that has no deet and when I got up there I could hear bugs buzzing around my ears. Evidently it was not working.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Oh THOSE boys! lol In that case, I think you might be wasting your time to plant anything in the hole. They'd just dig it up again, or at least my dogs would. My hubby spent a good part of a day filling holes in our back yard with top soil this spring and didn't listen when I told him they would dig the dirt back out again. Of course they did. I put a big rock in one of their holes that tried to break my ankle, and then put dirt in around the rock. That makes it a little harder for them to dig it back out if the rock is big enough.

I hate seed ticks! My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and they can be pretty hard to find, and I always worry that they're in my hair. Stupid things. I've been seeing a couple turkeys in our field almost every day lately. I hope they like to eat ticks.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

I know all about dog holes! We still need to fill in some big ones left from our dog.

So far, I haven't had any ticks....of course, I am just in the yard and not walking in the fields. If you are worried about your hair, our GD said they told them at camp to tie a scarf over their head when they went walking to keep them off. She still does that sometimes when she is out in the fields here.

It is still very dry here too. I heard a few sprinkles in the wee hours this morning but that was all.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996