Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

picture from my yard - rudbeckia

helenh
10 years ago

I grew this plant from seed after I saw it at the Springfield demonstration garden. I like wild looking things.
More wild things with stinky bones that Beau found.
Glenda's petunias that take care of themselves.

Comments (4)

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Helen, I love those native rudbeckias! I have a favor to a ask of you. Could you please save me some petunia seeds. Mine have failed to return this year. Don't know what happened.

I am trying the Laura Bush that are supposed to self-seed. If they finally bloom I will save some seeds from them.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem. You may have noticed I don't seem to have as many colors as your originals, but I will save some of the above for you. I had the Laura Bush before and they do reseed. I have lost them. It is so dry that I don't know what to water. I had fried squash yesterday - only one plant left. The others died. I am afraid this last one will get bugs. My onions are mild and good. You can eat big slices they are so mild. I am eating cucumbers since last week and I found some tomatoes today when I pulled some weeds. They were Black and Brown Boar. They are a small tomato dark red and green striped and hard to see. Tonight for dinner I had rolls, tomatoes, onion and cucumber.
    Edit- you didn't say anything about Honey's haircut. I think I ruined him.

This post was edited by helenh on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 23:33

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Helen, you and Honey will have to forgive me! You know I am not a very 'pet' oriented gardener. I don't think you ruined him at all. I know it makes it more comfortable. I am beginning to see ticks on Sugar.....she has very short hair. I dusted her with Sevin and will try that again. I lost all of the pour-on I had......it tipped over and spilled! Lots of money down the drain.

You are far ahead in your garden. All I have are onions. Did you plant the Candy onions? I have Candy, Superstar and Red Candy and they are very sweet and getting close to needing to be pulled.

I have lots of medium sized green onions and a lot of tiny ones on the cherry tomato outside the back door. I think it is Park's Sugary grape tomato which should be ripening soon.

Cucs aren't even blooming yet. Lots of squash plants, no blooms yet. Everything is looking good, just not producing yet..

We are getting pretty dry here and the rains are passing us by.

So far, I have just seen a few Japanese Beetles, thank goodness. They are probably waiting for the blackberries to get ripe!

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

Aw I like Honey's haircut. He's cute. I think he's saying "Am I in trouble again?" lol
    I enjoy seeing your photos. Your first photo made me realize I don't have any bee balm left though. I think mine has all died out. I had Raspberry Wine and Jacob Cline.

I don't think I've seen that kind of rudbeckia. It looks sort of like Mexican Hat with the tall cones. I have a different kind of rudbeckia that are just annuals but I appreciate them coming back with no effort from me. They're mixed in with some purple flowers (Verbena bonariensis) and I like the contrast.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH