Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

What are you eating from the garden?

helenh
10 years ago

I am eating tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, potatoes, and an occasional squash. The pole beans are looking a little dried up. I don't know if is not enough water or bugs. I need to pick all of them small ones included and try the pyrethrin spray. I have stink bugs on them.

Comments (4)

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

I'm starting to get my good heirlooms, plus lots of Sweet100's and Sun Gold cherries. Also pulled up my shallots. And I have lots of peppers -- hot varieties and sweet belles. The onions are done, so I need to get them out, but have lots of chard, Brussels sprouts, and green onions. It's been a good year, so far, in that I haven't had to pull out the gauzy insect/frost cover to cover the tomatoes from the sun. Looking forward to very sweet, little Brussels sprouts when they are ready. I even have one little Red Sails lettuce in semi-sun left (between the big tomato plants) which I cut off at the stem, rather than pull it out. I've kept it watered, so I know that experiment worked -- they will come back, at least Red Sails will.
    Sunny
    Note: When I say "lots" it's enough for a little sharing and one person --

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Had our first BLT tonight. Have pickled beets and canned bush beans, and garlic is braided. Onions, peppers, carrots, and zucchini are all producing well. Just transplanted Brussel Sprouts out a couple of weeks ago from seeds started inside. Quite a huge difference from last years spring garden. Only a few weeks from working on the fall garden plantings. That is hard to believe. Sure hope all my Ozark friends are doing well.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't grow any cole vegetables because worms eat them up. I am trying the pyrethrin spray just now. It says on the bottle that you can harvest the next day. It still don't like to use it. I caught some stink bugs off the pole beans and sprayed them directly with it and I don't think they died. I know it kills potato beetle larvae and hornworms. I was picking the potato bugs off by hand until the striped blister beetles came in like a plague. The striped blister beetles seemed to be affected. I may have to use Sevin on the beans.

• Jon.69367
    10 years ago

Okra, potatoes, parsley and herbs, tomato, squash, banana peppers, turnips, onion, beans, broccoli. However, corn failed as well as zucchini, Napa cabbage, cucumbers, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts. I am still waiting for the watermelon, cantaloupe, bell peppers, eggplant, and head cabbage .