Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

First BLT!

gldno1
15 years ago

We had a couple of Early Girls last week, but yesterday, I got the first Pink Brandywine (2) and (2) Gold Mountains. I couldn't resist that sandwich and it lived up to its expectations.

Still watching the Black Pineapple, but it is way too early for them.

Now, I am worried I didn't plant any red tomatoes......maybe some red brandywines, I hope.

I have less disease this year (so far); hope that continues.

Comments (9)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Sounds delicious!
    I have my first two garden tomatoes sitting in my windowsill now but they're not from my garden. They're from my parents'. MY biggest tomatoes are still green and smaller than a walnut. My dad always has buckets-full and shares in the summer.
    He also grew 'Peaches and Cream' corn this year and started harvesting those just a few days ago - WONDERFUL flavor.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to hear that about the corn. That is what I planted this year, but it is not near ready.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

we are lucky since the 1st of july with tomatoes. bought 3 lbs of bacon last weekend. breakfast, lunch and dinner. this is the time of the yr i enjoy!

william

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I think that sounds so good. I might make that for my supper tonight. Only thing I leave the bacon off, I'm a veggie. But still really good sandwich w/all the fresh veggies and really fresh bread.
    Almost everything here is taking forever grow. I don't know what went wrong, but I think some sort of soil deficiency? Not sure if it could just be too much rain in the spring and all got off to a slow start. Going to have soil tested later in the year and do the amend thing when I put all to rest for the year. Oh yeah and cross my fingers for next year.
    Bonnie

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

could not post this earlier.

william- in yellville

• razorback33
    15 years ago

william- in yellville....
    What's causing the splits? Too much moisture?
    My Tomatoes are just ornamental vines this year. I'm disgusted that they aren't blooming. I have stopped fertilizing and watering them and still very few blooms.
    I had decided not to plant Better Boy again this year, due to their miserable performance last year(small fruit), but gave in to trying them again, when one of our daughters gave us plants grown from seed by some of her Special Ed students in the greenhouse at the High School where she teaches.
    I'm clueless as to what the problem is or how to rectify it.
    If anyone can help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    I had hoped to be making Tomato sandwiches about now and since the great hullabaloo over contamination and won't buy any commercially produced ones, I feel denied a great summer treat!
    Rb

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rb, no advice for you. I never fertilize the tomatoes but I know if you give them too much nitrogen, you will get mostly vines.

William, do you know what that darker tomato is? So far, what tastes best?

Granny Cantrell has the most fruit so far but not ripe yet.

I am watching the Prospero eggplant. Have no idea how big it should get before using....need to do some research on it. Never ate one in my life before.

• helenh
    15 years ago

My tomotoes are late. I've had my BLT, but there is a gap now. I'll have to wait for another. I thought the tomotoes would be good because of the rain, but I seem to have a problem. Some of them ripen unevenly are not smooth and have lite or dark green spots. I am not describing this well and I don't know how to put pictures on the garden web.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

rb- i agree with gldno1 about the fertilizer. also, if you aren't getting a minimum of 8 hrs of sun, you got problems. 12 hrs is good.
    the cat facing on the toms are genetics and there is some splitting due to water.

gldno1- we ended up with quite a few purple/ blacks. black brandywine, black from tula, black krim, cherokee purple, black seaman and annas noire. my wife has been beating me to picking and has me confused identifying some of the varieties. think the dark one was annas noire. we have had no spitters this yr. silvery fir tree is still good for me. very tangy.
    we had great luck with determinates this yr. bush champion will be back. very large tomatoes with good taste.

we are trying double cropping squash, cukes and tomatoes this yr. planted 5 moskovich tomatoes 5 days ago. squash is up already and the cukes will be planted this weekend.

thanks for the tip on the arched cattle panels. they worked great for me on cukes and beans.

william

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County