Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Did anybody get rain?

christie_sw_mo
10 years ago

We were gone yesterday evening but had about 1/10 of an inch of rain in the rain gauge when we got home. It's July so I'm not going to complain....much.

Comments (19)

• helenh
    10 years ago

I got a sprinkle, stayed out in it and didn't get very wet. I consider even that a miracle because I asked for rain and it came in from the wrong direction - has to be a miracle - but I'd like more please.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

I got less than 1/4 inch. It rained straight down and small drops and boy, was I happy to see it. More tonight, I hope.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got another 4/10 yesterday. That seemed more like a real rain. Getting a tenth just makes it humid.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Got about 3/4 of an inch here. Just enough to make me shut off the sprinklers and give me a small respite from frantically trying to get everything watered.

We're putting in a different system underneath the big hostas that act like umbrellas, with spot spitters that deliver way more water directly to the root system than before. I have been using overhead and impulse sprinklers where I don't have soakers, but even after 3 hours the ground under those hostas was still bone dry. More cedar mulch is going down this week to cover the soakers, which have worked up to the surface after a couple of years.

Sandy

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

We did get about 3/4 of needed rain last night. Sounds like some folk had quite a bit more.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

I got about quarter inch last night and it's been raining steadily all day.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    10 years ago

We got a whopping 1.5 inches last evening....we were thrilled.....I caused it; I had watered most of the day!

• helenh
    10 years ago

Well thank you Glenda because you got me nearly an inch.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I count what we got last night/early this morning, my grand total for the weekend was two inches. That's just wonderful for late July.
    I have to water the containers on my patio almost every day but I've only watered the perennials out in my yard once this summer so far and actually I didn't make it all the way around my yard so some things have gotten no supplemental water at all. What a change from last summer.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

There was a total of 1 1/2" in the rain gauge this morning, but I noticed that on the south side of a big tree where I am working on a new bed, the ground was still dry. It didn't get under the tree canopies much. It is so humid, I think a lot of the rain is still in the air, lol! But it is a nice respite from the heat to see 68 degrees on the thermometer this morning!

Sandy

• gldno1
    10 years ago

You are welcome Helen.

We got another 1/2inch this morning. I think our total for July is near 5 inches! Unbelievable!

• helenh
    10 years ago

My total since the middle of June is 1.5 inches and that has been the last few days. I have watered lots and siphoned the pond on the hill. Except for early spring; this year was just as dry as the last two years here.

I got another inch last night so I am in good shape with all my stock tanks full.

This post was edited by helenh on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 15:05

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like the Joplin area is getting some rain right now too. Glad to see that. I'm hearing thunder here.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Looks like we are going to end up with about 1 1/2" of slow all day rain. I came down just perfect!

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Well, four days later we must have been under the sky spicket as this morning register 3 1/2" of rain. Glad I got the onions out a few days ago. How did everyone else do for rainfall?

This post was edited by dirtguy50 on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 18:47

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

I had 2 1/2 inches in the gauge this morning. YEA!
    Sunny

• helenh
    10 years ago

1.5 inches since yesterday. I am picking all tomatoes if they have any pink at all because they are splitting. I am not complaining though. It is amazing how the rose o Sharon perked up since it started raining. They are a little bent today because they are wet but they have been looking good.

• gldno1
    10 years ago

We ended up with 2.75 inches! My MIL is sw Springfield got 3.5 inches.

I pulled the rest of onions; they had soggy tops. We laid them out on the flat bed of the trailer and I hope they dry out quickly and don't rot. They were some of the nicest I have raised.

I also picked a small tub of tomatoes....two were already rotten. I hadn't been in the garden for three days because our granddaughter and her friend's visit.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got two more inches after I last posted and then another 3. Hope August is as generous with rain as July was.