Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Checking out the summer clearance?

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

Can't believe it's that time of year already. One nursery near me is already closed for the summer and others are marking stuff down. I kinda feel sorry for all those annuals that are still homeless.

I bought a couple Stokes Asters that were 60% off. It was a good deal - if they return next year. I think they're finished blooming for this year.

I saw some Jane Magnolias that were marked down from $28 to $12 and was tempted but I don't know where I'd put one.

Is anyone finding any bargains?

Comments (6)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

One of our local outlets has closed for the summer and wlll reopen in late August. They have closeout prices at all times, when they are open, as they sell overstock merchandise from their wholesale greenhouses. The retail nurseries around me are still tagging their plants at regular prices, even though many of them have been there since mid-spring and with minimal care, you can imagine their condition. When I inquired about sale prices, I was told that it was too early, I should come back in late Aug-early Sept. for a 20% discount. I'm sure I will. Not!
    Rb

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Walmart at Clarksville is almost out of plants but not much lower prices. Blossumberrys has alot in greenhouse but annuals outside are almost gone. I did get an enormous fern from them for $10. I'm going to try to keep it indoors this winter. I remember the mess the dead leaves made at my grandmothers but i want to try anyway.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Clarksville Walmarts large garden angels are on sale for $20.00. They were $49.00.
    vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Had a dead battery yesterday morning and a flat on the way home so I got to go to Wal-Mart TWICE yesterday. lol The one on the NE side of Springfield had Bleeding Hearts marked down from $7.88 to $1.00. I picked out one that still had some green leaves on it and left the rest of them there. They all looked pretty bad, some with no green at all. Hope it's just going dormant, and not rotten. If it comes out big and beautiful next spring, I may wish I'd picked up a couple more at that price.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

cristie...
    If the Bleeding Hearts are the old-fashioned kind, Dicentra spectabilis, with palmately-compound leaves, it is time for them to go dormant and yellowing and dying leaves are normal. If they are the Fern-leaf type, they will go dormant due to heat and lack of water, but chances are very good that they will return when temperatures drop and moisture is applied. I have a huge Dicentra 'Luxuriant' that is in full afternoon sun and receives only rainfall. It goes dormant every summer, but when late summer-fall rains arrive, it emerges and starts blooming again.
    At a buck each, I probably would have taken a chance and purchased all of them! (I'm a sucker for a bargain).
    Rb

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have tried Dicentra Luxuriant a couple times in shade and it died, even though I tried to keep it watered. Next time I find a bargain on that one, I'll try it again in more sun.

I think the one I bought yesterday is the old fashioned type. It didn't have the name on it but shows a picture of a red and white bloom and the leaves aren't ferny. I have another old fashioned one that I got in a plant trade a few years ago. I remember that it was broken when I got it and I planted the roots but nothing came until the next year. It was a nice surprise since I was sure it was dead.