Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Hazelnuts

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

I found hazelnuts for the first time on a bush I planted years ago. Either I miss them every year or it just hadn't made any. It needs another nearby to pollinate it I think.

Does anyone know when they'll be ready to pick? I need to beat the squirrels. I wonder if I should net them or something.

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I would bag them quickly. I seems to me they are a fall thing. I can remember picking them in the wild when I was a kid. I don't know anyone who has native ones growing anymore.

Are yours the native variety?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got them through the Conservation Department so they should be native.
    I think I planted five originally. Four of them were back along our fencerow where I only kept them watered for the first year or two. At least a couple of those survived but after the ice storm, when we lost so many trees, my dad used his tractor to pile stumps and brush in that area. I don't think they survived that. The leaves aren't very distinctive so it's hard to tell. I get a lot of elm and hackberry seedlings and the leaves look a lot alike to me.

I need a lesson on bagging a hazelnut bush.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I think the critters eat them if you don't protect them somehow. I tried to grow them once and didn't have much luck.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got them through the Conservation Department so they should be native.
    I think I planted five originally. Four of them were back along our fencerow where I only kept them watered for the first year or two. At least a couple of those survived but after the ice storm, when we lost so many trees, my dad used his tractor to pile stumps and brush in that area. I don't think they survived that. The leaves aren't very distinctive so it's hard to tell. I get a lot of elm and hackberry seedlings and the leaves look a lot alike to me.

I need a lesson on bagging a hazelnut bush.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I was thinking about just bagging the clusters; probably way too big a job. You might check into that polyspun stuff to toss over the bush. It is hard to defeat critters when they are determined.