Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Basil question

jspeachyn5
14 years ago

I was wondering if any of you freeze basil?

I am going to have more than I can use.

I was wanting to keep some over for winter. Any ideas?

I am using it for pesto and sauce. Any thing else I should be aware of that might be good?

Bonnie : )

Comments (16)

• pauln
    14 years ago

I've frozen fresh basil leaves in ziplock bags. They'll turn black, but still very fragrant for use. They work well in cooked foods like soups and sauces. I also freeze pesto with excellent results. Some say to keep the parmesan cheese out if freezing then add when used, but I haven't noticed any difference between the results of frozen pesto with or without cheese. You can also dry it by hanging a small bundle upside down in an open place out of the sun. Home made dried basil is much better than the kind you would buy at the grocery store.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I think Pauln has a great idea to freeze the pesto. I've never had a great deal of luck getting my own dried basil to be anything like the fresh.
    Do you have a good pesto recipe? I'd love to try it if you do.
    Sunny

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks' Pauln.
    Sunny, We had a discussion about pesto last winter. Here is a link.
    I just sorta adapted it to my taste. A trial an error type thing. I did decide I like the chicken broth in mine. So sometimes I make it that way.
    I like it on my home made pizza as well. Since I do not eat meat I like to try different things on my pizza.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil discussion from last winter

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Wow. Thanks, Bonnie -- I enjoyed the basil thread.
    Since I have large-leafed basil planted all around my tomatoes, (to keep hornworms away) I think I will make pesto tomorrow. Really can't resist the wonderful fragrance from the leaves that gets on my hands as I work with it. Chicken broth might give the pesto more body and I definitely would use walnuts rather than pine nuts. Also, couldn't roasted sunflower seeds be substituted for pine nuts?
    Thank you for the info!
    Sunny

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Sunny, you can use any nut you like. Walnuts are good too as a substitute.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sunny I think it is just a matter of what "you" like.
    In my testing the waters so to speak. I have found that sometimes I like to put some minced garlic in mine also. I put it on bread and then put tomato slices and then some cheese over that and toast it in the oven.
    One of the ladies on here makes her own cheese, maybe Glenda. I bet that would taste wonderful.
    I'm not brave enough to make my own cheese.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

"... question of what you like ..." Bonnie, that would probably be anything you cook. YUM garlic -- the bread, pesto and tomato slices thing sounds verrrrry good. I think I'll come and see you with a large suitcase LOL
    Sunny
    P.S. I have "easy" directions for making cheese with rennet. I've always wanted to do that too. Let me know if you want a copy

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I have just made mozzarella a few times....I did melt it on homemade bread in the toaster oven....unfortunately no basil or tomatoes. I thought it was very tasty.

I am just waiting for tomatoes! The cow is dry now and won't freshen until mid August so no homemade mozzarella for a while.

I still haven't made pesto...my basil is still quite small. I planted it very late. I do have some self-seeded Queen of Siam basil that is large enough. I don't think it is as good as the large-leaf Italian variety though.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I forgot to plant basil this year and I was going to because of the pesto thread last year. I bought two plants today at the farmers' market. I am a little late for sure. I have been putting oil and vinegar with lots of garlic dressing on things to lessen my butter in take. I love butter too much. These other toppings are much healthier. I think cheese is fine because of the calcium, but butter has no good points.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Actually, butter in - moderation, is good for you. Just don't sit down and eat sticks of butter at a sitting. The body absorbs more vitamins and nutrients when there's a little fat to go with them. Butter is healthier for you than margarine ever will be, just as any "real" vs synthetic food is better. A little fat is fine, just don't over do it.

Here is an article from the Wall Street Journal on Butter:

Here is a link that might be useful: A Surprising Way To Make Vegetables More Nutritious

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I agree that butter is better than margarine could ever be. And butter made from fresh milk from a cow on grass is very nutritious, with Vit A, D, k and lots of healthy fats from the grass. It is such a rich color and the flavor is suburb. Eating butter on corn or baked potato actually improves the glycemic index, as it slows digestion. I sure miss it. Haven't had a cow for 26 years. I tried the ORGANIC butter from WM but it was rancid, not enough turnover, so went back to buying the regular stuff.

• ozarkjean
    14 years ago

I freeze basil and parsley, I roll small amounts (about 2 tblsp.) and put in a small plastic snack bag and roll it up and put several pkg. in a large zip-lock bag, that way I can take out just enough for soup or whatever. Works great! I also freeze both in chicken broth in Ice cube trays, same thing, can take out small amount or large amount. Helen

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I freeze my pesto in very small containers and freeze cilantro to make salsa with when the maters and peppers get ready.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I hadn't thought of freezing cilantro. Mine is flowering. It seems to grow and get old quickly.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Great idea about the cilantro, I have a few plants this year.

I need to cut the parsley and freeze it too. The heat is stressing it terribly.

My basils and cilantro were planted late so aren't very big yet.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

I hadn't thought of freezing cilantro. Mine is flowering. It seems to grow and get old quickly.

It's the nature of cilantro to bolt (go to seed) quickly. Even if you grow a "slow bolt" variety. You either need to plant seeds every couple of weeks for spring and fall or just grow different varieties of cilantro. I grow Vietnamese Cilantro because it grows all season and if you're lucky, it will overwinter in the ground with mulch as protection and come back next year. Many people with water features grow this close to the water and it comes back quite regularly year after year.

Suggestions:
    Vietnamese Cilantro - Polygonum odoratum
    Culantro - Eryngium foetidum L., Apiaceae

For more information on these below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vietnamese Cilantro

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio