Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Grove Fruit Station

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 10:39

Has anyone visited the fruit experiment station in Mountain Grove Missouri?
I didn't find much info on their website but maybe I just didn't dig deep enough.
It didn't explain what a "Field Day" is. Has anyone been to one?
They're growing many types of fruit. I'd love to know if it's possible to taste test fruit from different cultivars if you visit there. I'd like to try different types of pawpaw or persimmon and others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Grove Fruit Station

I don't know about it. You could try calling and talking to someone down there.

o

When I was there, years ago, the old house was still empty. It's fairly close, and I go by, just never have time to stop. They are excellent in answering e-mail questions.
I do need to go, and discuss, in depth, Brown Rot on Stone Fruits.

o

I was there last year for a rooting class which was wonderful. You definitely get your money's worth with any class at either the Mt Grove Fruit Experiment Station or the University of Missouri Southwest Research Center in Mt. Vernon. And the classes are usually $10 or under. They always seem to have a strong turn out.

I haven't been to a field day, but I'm thinking they highlight a topic that they're doing research on at the time and then give a tour of the rest of the facilities. It sounds like there are hundreds of people who attend.

The staff are all extremely friendly and welcome visitors during regular hours. If you are going to make a trip, it's good to call ahead to make sure someone is specifically available to give you a one on one tour. They're more than happy to do it if you just let them know. And I wouldn't be surprised if you were allowed to try anything that was ripe.

V

o

Thanks for that link. I didn't know there was another garden in Mt. Vernon. It looks like they're growing pawpaw and persimmon cultivars at both places.
I thought Mountain Grove might have results of their pawpaw trials and looked through their website but didn't find anything.
I can't remember if I've even eaten fruit from the native species. If I did, it was when I was very young and I don't remember it. From what I've read, some are very good and others are barely edible.

o

christie_sw_mo,

It's no wonder I used to get them mixed up. I didn't realize there were locations at both places for the longest time either.

You might be interested in The Berry Basket. It's a newsletter from the Mountain Grove research center. They include articles on their research - including pawpaws (Fall 2006 issue). You can skim the titles of articles in past issues here. Haven't tasted them... yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here