Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minirose1

Disease Resistant Roses

minirose1
15 years ago

I posted on the Rose forum and received a lot of suggestions, but only heard from a few from this region. I'm trying to find out what varieties people are have luck with here being resistant to blackspot. I suspect that there is no totally resistant variety, but some are better at it. Right now the only one that I have is Sunsprite, but information from the rose forum shows that in some areas, Sunsprite has a lot of problems with BS. I do have some Freedom roses that do pretty good. Am just tired of spraying and doctoring and still winding up with a bush of thorny sticks, but I do love the roses. Would love to hear what is successful for folks in the Ozarks.

Comments (9)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Thanks minirose1 for mentioning this forum on the rose forum, because I did not know it existed. My friends have a lot of problem with BS on their roses, so besides Sunsprite I grow knockouts. The double knockouts looks like a full rose bloom. So far I have been disease free. I am looking for disease resistant roses to plant for next year, because I live in Russellville which is next to the Arkansas River and Lake Dardanelle. Good luck on your search.
    Ann

• minirose1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I don't know if I'll get a lot of response bunny6, but am hoping. I don't think this forum gets as much attention as some of the others. I do know that there are a lot of rose lovers around and there are soooo many varieties of roses and they differ in different locations and somebody out there has some to suggest. Will be next year before I'm really ready to do a lot of changing anyway, so will be patient. I live south of Yellville, but I think blackspot is a problem throughout the mid and south parts of the country for sure.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Hi minirose1 and bunny6 Welcome to the ozarks. Glad you're here and hope you'll stay around. We have some great folks here. I think everyone is super busy in their gardens and putting food up right now.

I bumped up an old thread to Nancykns that should answer your questions.

BUNNY6, I live in Ozone but my closest town is Clarksville, Just west of you. Also have to go to Russellville to Hobby Lobby every now and then.

Minirose1, I hear you about the thorny sticks i get left with, which is what happened this year. It may have been because of all the rain and cool weather earlier MR Lincoln and Blaze is coming back from the roots tho.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Welcome Minirose1 and Bunny6!
    The Ozarks forum has been kind of slow lately. I don't know about everyone else but I'm having a reeeally hard time keeping up with mowing and pulling weeds. All the extra rain we've had is making it impossible to catch up.

I LOVE roses but only have a couple. I have been wanting to get some disease resistant varieties but my Japanese Beetles are increasing every year so I've been putting it off.
    Here's a photo of Sevillana, a Meilland shrub rose, click to enlarge:

A few years ago, I gave up on spraying it to get rid of black spot but this year it doesn't have any spots on the leaves (so far). I was going to just let it die and replace it but it's still around. I think it started doing better after I decided to let it die. Must've scared it. lol

My hubby bought a Double Knockout rose for me for Mother's Day this year. I think knockout roses get some criticism for being overused but I would much rather have something reliable like that than something unusual that takes a lot of care.

I had a Fairy rose for several years but the late freeze last year killed it. : (

Here's an article at the Missouri Botanical Gardens website that lists some disease resistant roses:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobot - Black Spot

• gbbrown
    15 years ago

At present I have only 2 roses that have been in the ground for only 3 seasons. One is a yellow David(?)Auston and the other William Baffon. Neither has given me too much trouble with black spot. I have not sprayed so far and do not plan to.

I find bush roses to be very desirable and will order 3 more come next spring. Like many, good choices for the area would be nice to know.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone! Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I am new to gardenweb and it's nice to have a forum in the local area. I have only 6 roses at this time and I grow mostly annuals. I have large old growth oaks and sun light is hard to find in my yard. I grow mostly knockouts, because they need less sun. Can other shrub roses handle less sun? OakLeif, Ozone is beautiful country. I go to Hobby Lobby, too.
    Hope you have a good day!
    Ann

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Bunny, i have old oak trees too, a forest of them. The only place for my roses is next to our one lane road.

• minirose1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not new to the forums, but had not been on any of them for quite a while and didn't realize that this forum had been added until recently. It's nice to be able to hear from gardeners in the same general area. Another thank you for the warm welcome! Maybe rose lovers in this area can find some really good choices. I'm checking all the suggestions out and trying to pick a few to try next year.
    I envy anyone having a Hobby Lobby close, we don't have one close enough to make regular visits. Still hoping!!
    A Wonderful Day to Everyone!

• kaye
    15 years ago

We grow a cross section of different kinds of roses. All the modern roses get sprayed with a few exceptions. South of the Arkansas River valley, where we garden, is almost as humid as the Ft. Smith area but the winters are colder..more like north of there.

The roses that overall do well for us with casual care are the Chinas, Teas, Polyanthas, Hybrid Musks and some of the Bourbons..mainly Sov. de la Malmaison and her sports. Also, many of the Bucks are decent about not getting disease but some are not real tolerant of our heat because they were bred for a cold zone. Still, very worth trying.

The modern roses that are almost bullet proof as far as disease are the floribundas Livin' Easy, Easy Going, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Pretty Lady and a few more. Sunsprite does very well here but gets sprayed regularly.

If you'd like to take a look at some of the roses we grow, I'm posting a link below to an online picture album. If you scroll down on the page, there are albums by type of rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo album

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?