Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

First tomato 'harvest'

gldno1
14 years ago

I hadn't checked since the rain and was thrilled to find these this morning.

The pinks are Granny Cantrell, there were a couple of types of plum tomatoes and a pink brandywine. Not sure what the smaller red ones are. Of course, like a fool, I put the labels at the base of the plants where I have to get down on my knees and dig to find it! Next year I am putting them on the top of the fence.

{{gwi:1115363}}

I had my first mid morning snack of tomato with Miracle Whip....love it. Next time will do it on homemade ww bread with mozzarella melted under the broiler.

Also finally picked the first of the hot and sweet banana peppers....will do pickled peppers later today.last two are clickables.

{{gwi:1115365}}

{{gwi:1115367}}

Comments (11)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I did the same thing on labeling. I wrote the names on sticks which are now hard to find. That cheese on tomatoes under the broiler sounds so good. I need calcium so cheese would be good plus what others here have said. You absorb vitamin A better with a little fat.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Do you have a favorite bread recipe that is not a family secret? I saw pictures of your bread once in your album. I really shouldn't make bread because I think good bread deserves lots of butter. I know a little is OK but I don't use just a little.

• Susy
    14 years ago

Appetizing looking collection. Saw some of those type tomatoes at Cabool farmers market this afternoon. Looked at your album using the slideshow. Great photos and so many different plants. Loved the poppies, clematis; all look really healthy!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

helen, I follow with gusto the "real food" movement!

I only eat what is not hydrogenated or in boxes. For me that means butter. I do try to watch the carbs....but not very successfully.

After DH had the heart attack, even though I am not convinced cholesterol or what foods he ate had anything to do with it, he just eats Brummel & Brown spread which tastes pretty good.

I don't have a secret recipe....in fact, DH says what he likes about homemade bread is it is different every time I make it! I mostly use recipes from "Blue Ribbon Breads" that I ordered from Hodgson Mills. The only secret is I use bread flour and a pinch of ascorbic acid in the recipes.

I will be happy to send you the recipe for the Honey Oat and Wheat Bread which is my starting point. I improvise a lot and add different things but this is a very good recipe exactly as is.

I haven't bought 'store' bread in 4 or 5 years.
    glenda

• helenh
    14 years ago

You are impressive. Sometimes I get tired just reading about the work some of you do - especially ceresone. But I really think you enjoy making your bread, cheese, milking your cow and working in your garden. When people come here they always say my flowers would be a lot of work. Maybe they mean all my weeds need pulling. I do not consider playing in my flowers work. Work is washing windows and cleaning bathrooms. I think a poor diet and bad habits do shorten your life and make you decline early, but I think keeping active is very important. You could not make me do stretching exercises but I will kill myself trying to reach a ripe tomato under the foliage or a weed I want to pull.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do love to cook and love eating real and healthy food. I do get tired and sometimes think I should give some of it up and I may.

I do consider the flowers work even though I enjoy it. I have 9 different beds and don't feel like I am keeping them all as good as I would like so am thinking about retiring a few. Now if I had cereson's energy I would be putting raised beds in them and growing more garden stuff! She amazes me.

My cow is dry right now so I am getting a little break from milking her but that should change the last of next month.

• faithfulone
    14 years ago

Beautiful toms!! I am excited as this is my first post since moving to the ozarks from cool, damp Puget sound in Washington state. Winter sowing will be such fun! Thanks for sharing your wonderful harvest!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome to the Ozarks!

Hope you like living and gardening here. Keep posting and visiting with all of us.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Glad you're joining in Faithfulone. Winter sowing is a great idea. It won't matter if you have a few failures from the climate change if you have lots to plant out. Winter sowing is the best way to accumulate a bunch of plants at low cost. I winter sowed cherry tomatoes this year and already have more than I care to pick.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Welcome faithfulone. If you are close to Springfield go to Nathaniel Greene Park or the park near Lone Jack near Kansas City. You will see what can be grown here.

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

Welcome to the Ozarks faithfulone. I am sure you will love it!
    Nancy