Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nashonii

Is it too late to plant?

Nashonii
15 years ago

I have been wanting a Pride of Barbados bush for some time. Is it too late in the year of order one, and plant it once it arrives? Or would it have a better chance of survival if I waited until next spring?

Diann

Comments (6)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I had to google that one. It is a beautiful plant, but it looks like it would have to be a houseplant here. Have you grown it before?

• Nashonii
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a VERY hardy plant. We had several bushes in McAllen TX, (zone 9). In fact it's also known as the Mexican Bird of Paradise... dosen't need much extra watering. As I googled a place to buy seeds,I read that it has been named the Texas bush of focus this year. I was surprised to find that no one had them here in Arkansas, (also zone 9).
    So, yes, I've grown them and I think they will do very well here.
    Is it not to late in the year to plant bushes? The seeds are very hardy.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I hope someone can answer your question. I shouldn't have answered since I don't know the answer. I would be interested in growing this plant if it will grow here. Last year I got some plants in Texas, sage and a mint and some others. I got them at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower place in Austin and at a wildflower business in the hill country. I saw many beautiful plants at the Austin botanical garden. I would like to have red yucca, but I haven't seen it sold here. You are far south of me. It gets really cold here in MO.

• Nashonii
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It may grow well for you, I'm not a good person to ask. It does look like an indoor plant from the flower, but it has 1.5-2" thorns. WE found it a good fence, as well as a beautiful flower. Not because it is a dence bush, but because of the thorns. Ours were next to the busy, hot road, yet they thrived. We did nothing to ours but water them once in a while during the drought.
    I also wonder if red yucca would grow here. I think it would. I think they are beautiful too.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Red Yucca is supposed to be pretty hardy. I tried to grow some from seed last year but failed. I got them in a trade from someone in New York and hers had made it through its first winter. I think she is in zone six (maybe 5) but the climate is very different there of course. I'd like to try it again sometime.

Nashonii - Your member page says you're in zone 6. Is that right? I found a page for Texas that says Pride of Barbados is grown as a perennial in south Texas and as an annual in the northern part of the state. If you had extras, you could try putting some along your south foundation where they would get some protection from your house. Sure is a pretty plant.

• helenh
    15 years ago

My first thought was that it is too cold here to grow your plant, but I grow brugmansia outside and it is not supposed to be hardy here.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery