Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stock tanks and tadpoles

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 13:29

I have been buying tuff stuff black stock tanks to save water. Result - I am playing with tadpoles like I did when I was 12. I have some little frogs with tails that are eating very tiny bugs that come to the water. I have lots of dragonflies, but when I water I have to juggle tadpoles. I make pets of everything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stock tanks and tadpoles

Cool! I remember raising tadpoles when we were kids.
How do you get tadpoles without getting mosquito larva though?

o

Tadpoles are from frog eggs, wiggletailes are what we called mosquito larva.
The tadpoles in our pool (when we had it) turned into tree frogs.

o

I do have mosquito larva, Christie. I put in mosquito dunks but it doesn't kill them. Somehow they don't finish maturing but I don't like seeing them and hope it really is killing them. I have a shallow well and a huge run off from my house when it rains because of the shape of the roof. I also have the barn roof. Siphoning isn't as easy as water under pressure because I am always moving the hose. The little frogs are cute and what was really cute was seeing it eat a tiny tiny flying insect.

o

Helen, I noticed we have a stock tank full of tadpoles too. Don't know what kind of frogs yet.

I need to check a couple of tubs I have under the shed roof. They may be filled with larvae. The dog jumps up and drinks out of it, so I just leave it be.

o

I'm going to buy some mosquito dunks then and put out a tub of water for the frogs. What I see the most around here are little tree frogs (I think) less than two inches long. They like the window in my laudry room. There's no curtain on it and they wait for moths there.
The view from inside the house:
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here