Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Yvonne's Salvias

gldno1
14 years ago

I don't know if any of you are growing these this year in honor of Yvonne or not.

Here are mine as of this morning. I will be saving seeds.

{{gwi:723713}}

Comments (7)

• Susy
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful and tall! What is the story on Yvonne's Salvias?

• pamcrews
    14 years ago

Wow....how did you get them growing so fast? They look so healthy too. I had some last year and sowed the seed this spring but I haven't seen any yet. Maybe they just didn't take. Last year they were kind of late bloomers for me. Yours are beautiful. Let us in on any tricks...special manure or something....LOL...

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a link explaining about the salvias.

I didn't do anything but start them inside about 6-8 weeks early and stick them in the ground. Next year I plan to really push them with mulch and composted manure. I would like to see if I can get the size she did.

I will be saving seeds from the tallest ones this year (if I remember).

Here is a link that might be useful: Yvonne's Salvias

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Pam maybe your seeds were old.
    I traded for mine an out of a dozen seeds I only had 3 come up. An they are only about a foot tall. I hope they do continue to grow and produce some seed. I would really like to grow these an see if I can get some of them to become taller so they will work in the spot I had planed for them. I talked w/the lady I traded for the seed an see was afraid the person she had gotten them from may not have waited long enough to harvest the seed.
    I just love how tall yours has gotten. I think they are so pretty.
    Do you keep yours watered? I was trying to figure out why mine are so short.
    Bonnie : )

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Yvonne has passed now but she got to see a story about her giant salvia in Birds and Blooms magazine and many people sent her thank you cards. Emily (mskee) is a wonderful person too and has spent hours mailing out packets of seeds to people all over the country so Yvonne's special flowers can live on.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

I got some of these seed too.

I direct-sowed them last year and nothing came up. This year I used what seed I had left and planted them in a tray. Several came up and I transplanted them into several locations. One was killed by DH and his weed-wacker. (One of these days I'm going to chase him around the house with that thing.....) Another was killed when the dog trampled it. One didn't like the spot it was in, apparently. The last one is still alive, thanks to a tomato cage placed squarely over it and dark threats made to both man and beast. But it is only a foot tall and so far no hint of any flowers. Hope it blooms as that's all my seed. Ilene

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie, the first time I had watered was the day just before we got our good rain! Isn't that always the way.

I have some fish emulsion fertilizer. I think I will spray them with that to give them an extra boost.