Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

trailing torenia

helenh
15 years ago

I really like this annual. I got it by accident last year. A local green house had their annuals on sale in the hot summer when business was slow and watering was a big chore. I happened to get some 3.99 select annuals for a dollar a pot. I found out I love this plant. It comes in some nice new colors and is so easy to root and make new plants. I think the tag says you aren't supposed to propagate them, but I do it only for my own yard. You can buy them in early spring and start several plants from the ones you buy.

Comments (6)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I use to live in West Texas and people grew them there, but I have not saw any, since I have moved here to Arkansas. I would love to have some for a hanging basket. They are very beautiful. What colors do you have? Do you know where they sell the seeds?
    Thanks
    Ann

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are from cuttings. They are new selections one is called something? moon. It is yellow and purple, I also have purple and a lavender. The colors are nicer than the seed grown torenia. You can get them in garden centers. I got mine at Faucett greenhouse in Neosho. I even got some at Wal-Mart, but it took a while for those to recover. They were too big and bushy and they went down hill after I got them home. They may be called proven winners; I'm not sure. They are premium annuals about $4 for 4 inch or so pot.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I am always looking for new things that do well in our hot summers.

I don't think I have seen them locally, but maybe just missed knowing what they were.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I called my friend from College Station, TX and she said the Trailing Torenia hold up better in the heat than some of the other Torenia. Next year I am going to have to find the trailing kind. I am so tired of the same old annuals they sell in my area every year, so if you think of anything else different than the common annuals give it a post. I need something in front of my flower garden that will not wilt and 12 inches or less. I lost a lot of petunia this year due to wilt disease. Sorry about rambling.
    Ann

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have had no bug or disease problems, but I wouldn't say they are tough. Mine are in pots in part shade; I take very good care of them. What I like is the lovely colors and they bloom their heads off. I think they may be sterile. I keep mine watered which may make you say duh, but not everything here gets watered. I make up pots in the spring of somewhat expensive plants and I try to be a little artistic on these. I have them out the front where my 91 year old mother can see them through the glass door. These always get taken care of. Then I have the back and side of my house where vines and weeds are bad and the copperheads come out every evening.