Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

end of July pictures

helenh
13 years ago

Joe Pye Weed is in with my tomatoes; sunflower trees are in the weeds on the outside of my garden. It is not neat here. Four o clocks smell good on humid nights not so much when it is dry. They have interesting sphinx moths at night. Spanky is not a good cat and does not aspire to be.

Comments (9)

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hate it when I have the wrong date on my pictures because the pictures should document what is blooming at the time. These pictures were taken this week.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, I had just checked these additions out in your album.

Your Joe Pye Weed is so much prettier than mine. I started mine from seeds and it has never been very showy. I love the big bloom heads on your.

We may have the same double R of S; yours looks a little darker pink; did the beetles love yours too?

Did you get mad at the dog over the fern? I must say I loose my cool with our dog. I have been trying to catch him for three days to treat him for fleas and ticks.......he knows the minute he sees me coming something is up.

I don't have much photo worthy these days so enjoy seeing yours and others.

g

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blackie is a good boy and he is sooo hot. I can tackle Blackie and put on the Frontline also Annie. But Beau will not let me put Frontline on him or attend to his scaley skin patch that I would like to look at. I get so mad at him because he is not nice when I try to treat him. I am not sure he wouldn't bite although he has never bit anyone ever. He doesn't even bite Annie when she bites him. I have weedy vines that the J beetles are eating. The advantage of weeds is that J beetles prefer some of them to flowers.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I love seeing your flowers Helen. : )
    What's in the background behind your cat? Is that your four o'clocks? They look so tall!
    Don't worry about the weeds. We all have them. It's hard to keep up.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My four o clocks are more like a shrub except they start over from the ground every spring. They are taller than I am.

• rmactavy
    13 years ago

Love your pictures! I wasn't familiar with Joe Pye Weed. I think I might need to plant some. I bet the beneficials really enjoy it!

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is covered with bugs that like nectar- bumble bees, skipper butterflies and black butterflies. I failed with it a few times. It likes water. If you plant a small plant and don't water it, you will lose it. I got mine at the garden sale at Close park in Springfield. I took care of it for a while; this year I have watered it a bit but it is among my tomatoes and not getting babied.

• jaceysgranny
    13 years ago

Nice pics again Helen. I'm like Glenda, I don't have anything worth photographing except maybe a few naked ladies. Everything else is trying to die. Does your 4 o'clock come up from a tuber every year? I planted them but mine died over the winter and you're in a colder zone than I am. I may have to try it again.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The big tall ones are coming up every year from the root. Then I have lots of seedlings that come up. They will make it on their own once they get a start. The weeds are wilting and four o clocks among them are fine. I tried the broken colors ones and the yellow leaved ones and they did not come back. The broken colored ones did for a year or two but I don't have any now. Four o clocks will crowd out your day lilies so they need a place of their own. My joe pye weed does not look good now. This heat is cooking things rapidly. I hate to water things when I need to save water for the things that will die. I am watering my dogwood now with a little slow trickle.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus