Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

more pictures from my yard

helenh
13 years ago

It is too hot to play outside, so I have to kill enough time to avoid cleaning my filthy house.

Comments (5)

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Oboy, can I relate! Love your photos, Helen.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, remember what they say, its not the heat; its the humidity! I think it is both!

Your flowers don't seem to be suffering. They all look very happy. The coleus don't even seem to mind the full sun.

I love the pond. Is it a lot of work? I have thought about one for a time now, but worried it would be a lot of trouble.

I noticed in your album online that your black dog is still enjoying the hosta bed.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I love seeing pictures of your flowers Helen!
    Is your fig in the ground or in a pot? That's something I'd like to try someday.
    Coleus doesn't like me. I'd grow it if mine would look like yours.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The sun coleus are easy to grow and propagate if you put them in a huge pot or galvanized tub. You do have to water them so I put them where I can easily water. Bugs don't seem to like them. They are actually more colorful than flowers because the leaves are always pretty even when they are small. They are in part sun. Sun makes them pretty, but full sun is too harsh. I do nothing to the pond, the greenery in the background is lamb's quarter. I don't even have the pump pluged in. I have no electricity there so I have a long orange extention cord across the yard. The frog spitter can spit into a torn up pillow when the pond gets nasty. Some summers when the temps were 100 or near, I ran the spitter to help the gold fish. I like to feed the fish because I can't see them unless I do. The water is green but it doesn't look bad to me. I don't put any chemicals in it. I actually moved some pots and hostas and dug up an area on the shady side of the bed where I saw the snake Glenda. I made a place for the dogs. But Blackie preferred to lay on the impatients. Both dogs are in the area I prepared now, but they will move because they are so hot. The copper head was trying to move away from me. I think the dogs may help him decide to pick a better spot. I am clearing another area in front of my house but it is so hot this morning I feel sick if I am out in it long.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to answer, Christie. The fig is new. I don't like overwintering things in the house so we will see how it works out.