Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

July flowers

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Here's some flowers from my yard. What's blooming in yours?

Comments (28)

• helenh
    15 years ago

Phlox, daylilies, monarda ending soon, crepe myrtle, zinnias, portulaca, "sun coleus", cannas, impatients, gallardia, rose of sharon.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Beautiful flowers, Christie.

I will try to take some pictures this morning.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - My cannas aren't even close to blooming yet. In fact, I lost several over winter or maybe this spring with all the rain. It didn't get below zero all winter, so I think they must've just rotted. The red species cannas that the hummingbirds liked the most are all gone.

I have some glads that opened up a couple days ago. I leave those in the ground over winter also. They're taller this year than I've ever seen them.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's some more flowers blooming in my yard:
    For those of you still on dial-up - Hope the thumbnail images make it easier to load.

{{gwi:499607}}

• helenh
    15 years ago

gldno1 When you take your pictures, get some of the melampodium please. Nice flowers Christie, wish I was smart enough to post pictures. I took several of my copperhead this evening and emailed them to my friend. It was in my yew bush out back up about two feet. I was trying so hard to get his picture, I got pretty close. All my helpers were helping me. I finally put the cat in the house.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty, Christie...I always look forward to seeing what flowers you have blooming. Right now, I have gardenias flowering, and because it rainy season here and the mosquitos are doing a happy dance, I can't enjoy them as much as I want to unless I cut them and bring them in ... then there's the problem with the cat wanting to eat them! Hybiscus are everywhere and orchids are taking a rest for the moment...

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

cristie, your flowers are so beautiful. I want to just bring a cup of coffee and enjoy the view in your yard. ok , so I'll just look at your pics.
    Have to enjoy some beauty some where, as mine are dead or just now starting to grow.
    I have been having mosquitos of an evening here as well. Seems all the "not so great" pest. Are all over the world. Maybe they just follow me? lol.
    Cristie what is that bottom pic? the yellow w/brown? i have seen it but can't remember.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wish your copperheads would turn out to be something non-poisonous Helen. It would make me nervous to have them around. How in the world do you pull weeds?

Missfourseasons - Orchids! We'd only see those indoors here. Sounds nice but I think you'd still rather be back here. Is it starting to feel a little more like home though?

The bottom photo is some kind of coreopsis I think Jspeachy. I broadcast a bunch of old seeds from my seedbox early this spring and got a variety of seedlings but only a couple of those. It's been blooming nicely for a first year seedling. I don't know whether it's perennial or annual so if anyone knows, tell me.

I have an over-abundance of weeds in my flower beds (you notice my photos are mostly close-ups). It's impossible to relax and enjoy the view when I see all the weeds.

• helenh
    15 years ago

How did you learn to post photos? I read the two FAQ and I did not understand. Everyone seems to know how to do this but me.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - do you already have your photos on your computer? If you do, you need an image hosting service like Photobucket which is free. You can go to Photobucket.com and join/sign up and it will have directions on how to upload pictures from your computer. Lots of people on Gardenweb use Photobucket, so if you get confused, there's lots of information on it here. I'll help you look if you get stuck.

• helenh
    15 years ago

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/spankypuff/?action=view¤t=HelenFlowers151-1.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1115791}}tp://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/spankypuff/
    http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/spankypuff/?action=view&current=HelenFlowers172.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1115793}}lowers172.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Here is a link that might be useful:

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could feel the hair on my arms stand up when I looked at that photo Helen. Scary! Do you think that's the same one that came in your house? I'm not an expert but it sure looks like a copperhead to me. Glad you figured out how to post photos by the way.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness Helenh. That makes me shiver. Isn't there some way to discourage them or get rid of them from your yard? Have you asked the conservation department? I don't pest control... I know I sound crazy, but I would be afraid someone would get hurt. Also I like to go outside every evening and isn't that when you see them the most?
    My thoughts a prayers will be with you and your family.
    I enjoyed your photos.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I have them because I live on the edge of a hill near the woods. My yard is in the middle of 30 acres that belong to me. But my neighbor has 200 or so acres of woods and a huge lake/pond. The neighbors on all sides have woods. I mostly have a field of grass and weeds no cattle. I live in their habitat and I don't like to weed eat. I should keep that side cleared but I don't. If I put tick granules down thick I don't have as many. They banned my tick granules so now they are carbaryl granules and I only sprinkled them here and there. I have toads and baby skinks so I didn't put much poison out. I am out every evening looking for them. I ride my lawnmower with the hoe and a flashlight. I would have chopped that guy up by now If I could hold the flashlight and aim my hoe at the same time.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

that thing is so healthy, looks like he has been on an oatmeal diet for a yr.

william

• gldno1
    15 years ago

helen, I finally found your picture again.

That is a great picture. Don't get so darned close to him!
    I would not be outside doing anything if that is when they come out!

christie, I was looking at Park Seed Co. and I saw your coreopsis...coreposis tinctoria. They are supposed to get about 3-4 feet tall. It is a gorgeous thing. I would let it self-seed or save some seeds from it if I were you. I think that salmon colored glad is the prettiest thing I have ever seen. For some reason this year I am attracted to peacy, salmony colored flowers. I planted a Buff Beauty rose with Apricot foxgloves. I just got one or two blooms on the rose so far. It is a slow starter. The foxgloves may not bloom until next year.

I have some salmon colored daylilies so dug up a clump and put with them. I am anxious to see how it all looks next year.

My flowers are suffering from the heat.

I am doing a list of seeds for next year right now.....vinca and melampodium are first in line.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I bought some sale plants at Lowes. $3.33 for ice plant and fifty cents per six pack for spindly red salvia. I have planted abused salvia before with success. I certainly don't need these plants. What I need to do is make new beds for daylilies. In the two ice storms my river birch bent to the ground. It is no longer an upright tree. That put some daylilies in the shade. Monarda, four o clocks, and phlox took over another daylily bed. Some others are being crowded by shrubs. But it is fun to find bargains and I'll have them in the ground tomorrow with little work.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Christie, your pictures were as usual beautiful. My favorite was the echanicae - nuts-purple cone flower and butterfly. Mine are still blooming,liatrus did'nt last long.still have 3 daylilies blooming along with petunias,marigolds,rosemoss,rose of sharon,coryopsis-solid yellow and the yellow and brown like yours,2kinds of yellow cone flower,black eye susans,peppermint and thyme.my mums budded out early spring and hve been blooming a few at a time with a lot left to go.Sedum is doing the same thing.

Helen, That is definately a copperhead. Note the arrow shaped head. a true sign of a pit viper. Other snakes have narrow heads. So do be carefull.

Yesterday i went into town. Walmart had just put crepe myrtles on sale for $2.50 each so i bought 12 and will give them to my DD.s for their birthdays next month, except for one which i 'm going to try doing bonzai with.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Helen: That is a pretty snake, but I sure am glad he was looking the other way and not at YOU! Pretty or not, clubbing them with a hoe sounds like a good idea to me! My place sounds a lot like yours, but I think I'm lucky that I never ran into a copperhead (at least not yet) ... Hope it stays that way, too... Yikes! Do be careful!

Christie: I have to say that I do love it here, afterall, it is my birth home and where all my family is, but unless we are having a typhoon, the tropics can get to be a bit boring. I miss Missouri for it's "wildness" .. and, of course, I have just fallen in love with the variety of flowers that come with each season ... that special rhythm of life that seasons bring ... Thank the Lord for you guys that give me a dose of that until I can come back. Don't miss those snakes, though...and the ticks and chiggers :)

• helenh
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1115795}}
    {{gwi:1115797}}
    {{gwi:1115791}}
    {{gwi:1115800}}

• helenh
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1115802}}

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Great flowers helenh. It looks like you have been a busy lady.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

This is a mystery to me because I put the pictures in photobucket and I don't know how they got on here. I printed the directions in the FAC on photo posting and I was going to try to put them on here another day. I am glad I didn't have any x rated photos on there. I have about 16 photos on there. Hum only 4 big ones and one little one how did I do that. Please be patient, I can turn my computer on and that is about it.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

You are doing far better than I have so far with posting pictures ... All these years on GardenWeb and I still haven't figured it out yet .... You go, Girl!

• helenh
    15 years ago

I go to some other forums where people are hateful to each other. Everyone here is very nice.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey I think that did the trick Helen. Now it just says "The specified image does not exist" if you click on the box. Photobucket needs to fix it so that doesn't happen. A warning box should come up or something so a person doesn't accidentally give someone access to their whole photo album.

We've had some really nice people join the forum recently so that helps. : )

• helenh
    15 years ago

Sorry to everyone for messing up the pictures. Oh Christie. I scared myself to death. I was not worried about anyone seeing my pictures. I just found photobucket Friday and had only my yard on there. I did like you said and made thumbnails of four o clocks that could be clicked on. BUT when I clicked on them I saw all the bars (favorites, links, my bank, my financial sites, my library) I thought everyone could see that. I am not afraid of you or the people who post here, but some bad guys may want to see four o clocks. Who knows? I deleted all my favorites, browsing history, passwords etc. Now I see that when I click your thumbnails, I see my information. When you click on a picture does everyone see their own links on the bar? I think I got upset unnecessarily. I am relieved though that maybe my personal information was not put on the www like I thought.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I click on my pictures or other peoples', I still have only my own bars across the top. We couldn't see yours. I think it's safe to post photos. It's impossible these days not to worry about having personal information stolen so I can see why you would want to be extra careful. Wish we all didn't have to worry about things like that but I think it's going to always be that way. Do try to post some photos of your flowers again when you get it sorted out. I always enjoy seeing other peoples' gardens.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz