Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daylilies in Seneca

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 18:32

I went to the July 5th celebration in Seneca and spotted a yard full of daylilies. I knocked on the door nobody answered, so I trespassed. I couldn't help myself. I am going to go back some time to try to meet this person. My daylilies are enjoying all this rain and I am enjoying looking at them every morning. I sure do miss John Gass of Carthage. He was such a nice person. I wonder how many people are still enjoying his flowers like I am. If you are the person in Seneca with a yard full of daylilies, thanks you made my day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daylilies in Seneca

Helen - Maybe it's not considered trespassing if you knock first. lol You just took the long way to get back to your car right?
I went to Close Park in Springfield last week and there were quite a few daylilies and Oriental lilies blooming. The iris had stopped blooming. Last time I visited there was early this spring and they hadn't started yet so I missed those. Maybe next year.

o

I visited Close Nathanial Greene or whatever it is called this year before the daylilies bloomed. I enjoy their gardens because I can see what does well here. When I visited, the purple columbines were everywhere. You could see they had reseeded and taken care of themselves. I think it was last year I happened to catch the last of a daylily sale. I got some half price. They were going to plant the ones that didn't sell over in that new part. It was hot and the plants had been sitting around all day with no dirt on their roots. They are a tough plant. I wonder if they have already had that sale this year.

o

At the Master Gardener sale in April, they had an extra booth set up to sell something (may have been lilies) but I didn't notice it until I had already paid and was leaving. I had my hands full and didn't go back.
Those purple columbines do reseed well. They always have those for sale at the Master Gardener sale.
Here's some photos of the lily and daylily gardens at Close last week.

If the Daylily society does an annual tour of home gardens, that would be fun to go to.

o

Thanks for reminding me about the daylilies at Close. I have never seen them. I will try to work that in between mowing and weeding!

I missed the Master Gardener Sale this year. I would love to have some of the purple columbines. I just have Chrysantha, a tall yellow. It does well, but has never self seeded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here