Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Article 'Keep It Funny'

Posted by rosiew 8 GA (rosemarywalsh@bellsouth.net) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 18:53

I subscribe to this gal, Jill Henderson's blog, and searched Gardenweb for the perfect spot to post. Think I found it.
Hope y'all enjoy.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozark's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Article 'Keep It Funny'

Rosiew, I enjoyed this blog -- thank you for thinking of us and taking the time to send it. She speaks truly, as our conditions are indeed "challenging" --
Sunny

o

sunnyside, so glad you liked. Y'all's challenges are different from mine, for sure. Battling encroaching bermuda grass is the bane of my existence. And crabgrass! Try to garden organically.

Rosie in Georgia

o

I enjoyed reading that. Jill Henderson has posted in this forum before although it's been awhile. Glad to hear she hasn't gotten tired of the Ozarks yet...or at least she hasn't moved away yet. I think everyone is tired of the Ozarks right now with the heat and drought.

Grasshoppers are thick in our hayfield. Nearly every year it looks like there's going to be a plague but I think a very small percentage make it to maturity without getting eaten - thank goodness.

o

Christie, nope, apparently she hasn't moved. Reading her blog know that they moved A LOT previously.

Tell me - what are the grasshoppers dining on? Have them here, but not thick. I'm in suburbia, 1/2 acre, lots of birds. Wish I wasn't so darned nearsighted. Would like to watch them munching on the hoppers. Do catch small ones and crickets and throw them into the golden orb spider webs. That is so neat to watch.

o

I've never thought about what they eat but our hayfield is so dry right now, it's a wonder I don't have more of them in my flower gardens instead. Maybe they like the dried seed heads in the hayfield. I drove back in our hayfield this week and my daughter laughed because when I pulled into the garage, I had a bunch of grasshoppers still riding on my hood.

Earlier this summer, I was seeing a couple turkeys in our field almost daily. Those things should be able to eat a lot of grasshoppers in a day - if that's what they eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here