Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of tree is this??

Posted by ArkieGirl72611 NW AR (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 20:29

I have only lived here 5 years and recently bought an old farm to live on. I moved here is November so everything was dormant. I want to wait a year before getting rid of anything...I want to be sure it is a weed and not a flower or something. I have discovered Osage Orange (big thorns), Black Walnut and Hickory Nut trees. I found what I believe is a wild plum tree. Gave it some careful nursing and it is producing lots of small plums.
The tree I cannot ID is quite tall and thin. It has fruit. It starts out green and quite round. If I wait until they fall to the ground, the look like a very large blueberry with a hint of green to it. There is no stone and the flesh looks like a brownish fig type texture, but I am not seeing a ton of seeds. I know we have figs here but they are suppose to be bushes. This thing is 20-25 feet tall. The deer are going crazy over these fruit. I put out a game camera and there are 6 to 10 bucks all trying to eat the fruit. What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of tree is this??

Leaves

o

The fruit looks like an unripe persimmon. The fruit shouldn't be falling yet. Don't eat them until after a frost. The leaves don't look like persimmon leaves to me but I am going on memory. I identify persimmon by the bark which is reddish in the cracks.

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmon fruit

o
bark

I identify persimmon by the unique bark pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmon bark

o

I agree with Helen. I have two in my yard....native persimmon.

Wait until the fruit is dark golden and very soft before tasting......usually after a hard frost.

o

Good luck getting any of the fruit. Ain't nothin' happier than a possum in a persimmon tree! And they know just when they are ripe, too!

But persimmon bread is just to die for....

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here