Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Ants?

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

Is anyone else being over run by ants? I seem to have them...a lot of them. I followed them around my house. they are going and coming in a line around my house, via the brick on the outside. Small little brown ants, then their are the big black ants all around the front area by the drive.

I have got to find I wy to dispose of most of these. I'm afraid the ones on the brick on the house will come on inside for the winter.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Bonnie

Comments (17)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I use a product called Tarra. You can find it at Lowe's or other stores. It comes in a bottle form or in ant baits. If you get a bottle, you put a few drops on a small piece of card board or paper about 1 inch by inch. It needs to place where you see the ants. The ant eat it and it gets Tarra on their body and take it back to their nest. Then the poison kills the ants in the nest. It takes a week or so, but it kills out the ants. I have see many many ants eating the Tarra at the same time. I have used it for years and it works wonders. Plus, you don't have to spray harsh chemcials.
    Ann

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I've used the same product. They make outdoor traps also and I used those around my raspberries to keep the ants off so I wouldn't have to spray them. If Wal-Mart has it, I think it would be in the Lawn and Garden section. I'm pretty sure I bought mine at Lowe's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terro.com

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Sorry Bonnie I spelled the name wrong. Thanks Christie for the correct name. I should have looked on the bait container. You can use it inside and outside of the house.
    Ann

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know I got to really watching them and they are going into a crack in the mortar around the bricks on the north side of the house. I will have to go get some of this terro and give it a try. I don't think I really want to keep the nest they are working so hard at. I can't imagine what they will do in the winter, yes I can they will come in to warm up by the fireplace! I'm going to the market on tuesday so I will try and find it, I will let you know how it works.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I have lots of ants in the house. I bought two different products which didn't help. I'll look for this Terro. What worked best was washing my counter with vinegar. They were gone for a while when I did that.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Bonnie and helenh, I was at Wal-Mart last night and they had numerous Terro products. I live in Russellville, and I also saw it at Lowes. I have used the liquid botttle and the bait traps. The bait traps are little less messy. The ants crawl up in to it and eat it. The bottle type you have to put a couple of drops on a little piece of paper or card board. It only takes a few drops, so the bottles last longer for me. I put the Terro where I see them coming into the house and where I see the ants in the house, which is ussually on my counter tops. I get ants each winter and summer and it works very well. Hope it works for you!
    Ann

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I got the dry kind in the shaker bag. Yes I know everyone said the traps/liquid, but they were out of that. Any way, I tried that. Haven't seen any difference and it appears to be burning my lawn. Even though I watered well like it said, and again the other morning. So I guess I will try to go to a different place to get some traps.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I so sorry about your lawn. I know not to us the shaker bag. I hope you have better luck with the liquid. The baits would be the best to put outside, because rain would wash the liquid away. We use to use some other stuff on ants outside, but we found out it was very toxic, so we stopped using it. I have pets. It takes a week or so to see a difference in ants. Good luck!
    Ann

• gldno1
    15 years ago

We had those tiny, black ones for the longest time. I used the Terro on the cardboard inside and the traps outside. Finally, got rid of the darned things. Maybe all the rain caused it. I am blaming everything on that.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yep, that is what I'm saying this year too. Raid did it, I will stick with that answer for the rest of the season. lol
    I really kind of worries me though, since I seen them going into the mortar on the brick. I would sure not like to do battle with those things all winter.
    Bonnie

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I finally got to Lowes. I p/u some of that liquid Terro. Wow as it said it sure did attract them. (yuck). But today I don't see nearly as many of them. Sure hope it gets rid of them all before fall and they end up in the house.
    Do you think I should put more out after they eat all of the bait that is out? Most of them are empty.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I'm glad I finally read this ! I have been battling tiny ants indoors for some time now this summer. I have written Terro on my shopping list.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well mine are not gone yet. But not as many. I put some more out today. cross your fingers.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Well, I see mine are back in the kitchen. I fought them like crazy earlier in the season.

I put out Terro last night. I don't think it works as rapidly as it used to.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm just hoping that it is because I had so many in the first place.
    Maybe yours is because of all the rain?
    Bonnie

• sbjim
    14 years ago

Terro works great! I had an ant problem in my pantry for several weeks. I put out Terro following the instructions and I soon had hundreds of ants feeding on it. One day later there were three. I killed them then caulked the crack where I saw them coming in and now there are none. I highly recommend Terro!!

• helenh
    14 years ago

It is time to buy more.