Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The great squash bug war or Save the white Pumpkin

Posted by oldgardenguy60 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 20:53

Time to nuke um I have a volunteer White Pumpkin that came up in my compost bin and like a fool I decided to let It grow and get some pretty fruits for fall deco well now its all out war but I have to much cover for them around the compost bin further out in the garden I've got them at bay but daily I'm destroying 10 plus egg masses and hand spraying 5-6 adults but tonight I had 30 plus nymphs must have missed some eggs so time to suds the patch I fell like the border patrol

This post was edited by oldgardenguy60 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 20:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The great squash bug war or Save the white Pumpkin

My squash plants died and the squash bugs moved over to the cucumbers. I am also fighting a war. So suds the patch means insecticidal soap? I have some commercially made and also grated some Fels-Nap soap in a quart of water which will be further diluted if I use it. I haven't sprayed the ones with fruit. I did spray the small pickling cucumber vines that were started late and are already getting wilted leaves from the bugs. What works for you? I think I will pick all the cucumbers Friday and try spraying with soap after. I am a little afraid of burning the leaves.

o

I use dish soap Dawn or something similar do you have squash bugs ( grey to black) nymphs are light grey or Cucumber beatles which are stripped or spotted

o

I have the grey ones galore and a few cucumber beetles. Do you have any trouble with the soap spray damaging the leaves? I did knock some bugs into a jar of very soapy water too strong to spray on the plant. Stink bug died also squash bugs but the cucumber beetle kept swimming. I don't think those would be easily killed.

o

Radishes planted in the squash patch will help with the cucumber beetles ,let them go to seed ( you can eat the seed pods raw or stir fry.

o

I didn't know that about the radishes but I have lots of volunteer podding radishes out in the garden beds that I have not pulled out. Squash bugs killed my early summer plants, in desperation I scattered Seven powder on the squash plants, nothing else seemed to work, and they didn't move to my cukes, haven't seen any since. So on Sunny's advice I've started more of the ones that mature in 60 days. We shouldn't get first frost till mid-October at the earliest so maybe it'll work out. I have pink banana squash planted and I really wanted to see them grow and mature, never grew them before. We'll see how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here