Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Veggie Garden

Posted by gbbrown zone 6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 21:16

Please tell me about your fall gardens! What do you plant and when? Here in eastern Mo it seems too hot and dry to plant a fall garden. Do you screen rows for some shade and water seeds regularly?

Last year I did try planting kale and lettuce but had very poor germination. Words of wisdon would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Veggie Garden

My daughter wants me to grow Kohlrabi but this will be my first year for fall veggies so I don't have any wisdom. lol
I did come across one link that said to start seeds around the end of July for that one. I'm wondering if it's going to be hard to keep the new seedlings alive in the heat.

o

We usually plant a fall garden that consists of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, turnips and mustard. I start all the plants except for the turnip and mustard, and just planted the broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Yes, Cristie, it is a challenge to keep the seedlings protected from the heat and bugs. I have a porch addition on the greenhouse and that's where I get them going. The big problems come when they are planted in the garden. We usually water them with a soaker hose and cover them with row cover to help keep the bugs at bay. They will be ready to plant out around the end of August and once we get into September and the nights cool a bit, they usually do very well. It's nice when harvest comes around on the cole crops as they are free from the worms and seldom are bugs a problem then. I even start the lettuce and spinach plants for spring and fall. We get a lot more to harvest that way. Leaf lettuce can produce a lot if plants are about a foot apart and are so pretty that they look great in a flower bed. I would think gbbrown that you could have about the same things growing where you are.

o

Thanks for the reply Minirose1. I had begun to believe that the fall garden had to be from started plants. Next year I will think about this when buying seed in the spring. My husband has just ordered a green house for his cactus, and I hope, he will have a little space for me.

Since the kale I have growing now is a bienial, I hope it will make it through unitl fall. I have lettuce seed that I will start in early August in yogurt cups. A friend tells me he started spinich in his flower garden that lasted into spring. Next spring I shall try starting cabbage from seed. My heritage tomatoes started indoors this spring are doing very well. Finally had our first tomatoes for dinner this evening!

GBB

o

Usually by the end of July, I am sick of gardening....and don't consider a fall one. I would like to plant turnips this year. I have never successfully raised turnips! and need to do it before I die.

minirose, tell me how to do turnips, please.

o

The lettuce that is so pretty it can be in a flower bed sounds so good to me. All I need are onions and lettuce and some oil and vinegar - heavenly.

o

We like the greens a lot too gldno, so we plant turnips in spring and fall. We just direct sow the seed, then thin them out and cook up the greens (they are so nice and tender at that stage), then we leave some of them to make turnips. Pretty much do the same in the fall, planting like in late August. We mostly side dress our veggies rather than broadcasting a lot of fertilizer and usually do that after plants are growing good and for the turnips when they are thinned out. Of course, you can use compost or other types of organic fertilizer if you wish. The turnips are a bit sweeter in the fall as they like the cooler temps and a light freeze or two can help. I ran across a recipe entitled Turnip Slaw a couple of years ago and we enjoy it occasionally. It's not really a slaw by my defination but is tasty. If there is something missing here, let me know and I will try to answer.

o

Thanks for the tips, I will try my seed in August.

I love them cooked with a little bacon grease seasoning, some red pepper flakes added and a bit of sugar. I can almost taste them now.

o

Minirose and Gldno, what I the date for your first killing frost or would this matter for hardy veggies? I really would like to be sucessful with fall planting, but information in the paper coming from the Mo Botanical Garden says to plant this week. It is so hot. I would like to wait!

GBB

o

Tell me what you know about collards. If they were planted in the spring and cut back, would they be good? I have let the worms eat mine, but the plants are big and they stink like cabbage. I am a flower girl, vegetables get neglected except for tomatoes and cucumbers for salads. I love salads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here