Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

the hunt is on

helenh
13 years ago

I just scared a copperhead in the bed at the front of my house maybe 4 feet from the sidewalk and 8 feet from my front door. I was outside with a flashlight positioning stock tanks that I bought to catch rain water. I pulled two weeds and was looking down at the impatients and saw a copper loop of hose unwind and move away. No telling how close my fingers were to this snake. He moved because I scared him! I am getting on my jeans and rubber boots. I hope I can find him again.

Comments (9)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, I never, ever pull a weed after dark and in daylight I wear gloves. I always think of my aunt who pulled some weeds by her cellar door and was bit by a Copperhead. She lost her finger! Please make yourself wear gloves. I just use those popular gardening gloves so I don't know how much protection it would be. I just don't garden at all after dark!!!!!

Also never ever garden in sandals or shorts! OK, through preaching.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

Remember the old song, "snakes crawl at night"?
    I'm with Glenda on this--and no sandals--here I thought I was the only one that felt this way--Please, everyone be careful (the copperhead pattern makes me sick at my stomach.) Several years ago, late March, I was cleaning up concrete blocks in a unused portion, and it had tall dead grasses,I'd worked for probably a hour, then I took the riding mower in to slick it all down. I'd made several rounds, and mower went "clunk" when I hit something, and mower died.I looked down, and saw a portion of a copperhead about as big around as my forearm! I should have been in the Olympics for the leap I made! Cleared the mowed area!! And I didnt go back after the mower for a week!!

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got brave because I didn't see any copperheads last year in my yard. This guy is right by my house; I didn't catch him. My yard is wild and I have been pulling weeds like mad lately. I will not be pulling weeds for a while.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Lord, Helen, please be careful out there. I can't think of anything more scary than just seeing a copperhead. My folks kept a hoe hidden on the patio for just a scenario. I'm glad they or I never had to use it. I guess I could, but I sure don't want the challenge!
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Not sure what I'd do. If you let your weeds grow, the copperheads will have more places to hide, and more mice and bunnies to eat. But if you pull your weeds, you might get bitten. Please be careful.

I still have never seen one here. I found a snake skin near the yard this week but I'm telling myself it was just a black snake.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the daytime I can see where I am putting my hands and it doesn't seem like such a big problem. I will be more careful at night. If copperheads were aggressive, I would have been bit long ago. I will probably be looking for it at night with my long hoe in hand. I need to move pots away from the front of my house because it could get under those. The dogs have confined themselves to one big excavation this year. They usually get in trouble for laying on my hostas and impatients in the snake bed. I may invite them back. They would see the snake and tell me about it. Paranoid Puffy is also a good snake cat.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

One thing for everyone to remember--don't kill king snakes--they're the black ones with green speckles. It IS true that they destroy copperheads--not just a old wives tale-love my king snakes!

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also love King snakes. They will eat any other snake that is a few inches shorter than they are. I don't see them often. I have not seen many garter snakes this year; I like them too.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blackie has been invited to lay on my impatients in the snake bed. He took me up on the offer.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting