Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

four o clocks

helenh
15 years ago

My four o clocks that reseeded and took over a daylily bed smelled really good this evening. They are one plant you don't have to water. They don't open until late, but the fragrance and easy care make me want to put them in the wild edges of my yard. I was wondering if anyone had planted sweet rocket that had no fragrance. I ordered some sweet rocket seed from Texas and I could not smell it. I also planted some white sweet rocket from a seed packet. I did not notice that the flowers smelled. I can't really smell nicotiana anymore either. They say your memory center in your brain is near the smell center and not being able to smell is a bad sign.

Comments (15)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Helenh, I keep 4'oclocks as well. I have always loved them. I enjoy the evening when I have flowers opening instead of closing As is is late in the evening when I get outside some nights.
    I have noticed that mine don't really have the lingering smell that they normally have. I have just been chalking it up to all the freaky weather we have had. Since so many of my other plants have either died from too much rain, glads, impatiants, daffs, tulips and the list goes on. Some of the others have had a very stunted growth pattern this year and some are just now starting to flower.
    I feel like weeping every time I go out and see the sad state of all my wonderful plants.
    So to get back to your question (sorry), I'm am just trying to think that it is just this year and not a long term thing.
    Do you happen to grow sunflowers W/your 4'oclocks? I love those as well and so do the grandchildren. but they also help the 4'oclocks w/ a bit of shade.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should grow sunflowers. Last year I planted some and they were beautiful. This year three sprouted in my "vegetable weed patch". I didn't take care of them at all and they towered over weeds and look pretty. I tried to post a picture on the July flowers. You have to click spankypuff and go to photobucket. I am a dummy at picture posting.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I tried 4'o clocks last year and not one dang seed germinated. Everyone had talked about the wonderful smell so I wanted to do them. I have had trouble with germination of seeds several times lately.

I don't think the plants smell like they once did. I did notice the wonderful smell on the garden heliotrope this year and on the phlox so I think my "smeller" is OK.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That is what I think too gldno1. I can smell all the wonderful "baby" smells (and not so wonderful) lol. That the children have and Mahala way before I see her. I think it's just the plants. My geraniums don't have that spicy scent as strong either.
    gldno1, try soaking the fresh seeds in a cup of water for 2-3 days before you sow them. That is how I start new ones. but I have some that come back each year,not allot just some. and the ones that did this year are still way smaller than the new plants i set out. Those have been blooming awhile, that reseeded ones still haven't put on a bloom yet.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Once you ever get a stand of four o clocks they reseed themselves like mad. It is funny that you can try and try to get a start of a plant with little success then all of a sudden it takes over. They have a deep root so start them where you want them forever.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

I have tried winter sowing 4 o'clocks every year that I was there and I NEVER got one to sprout! You would think after all that moisture/freezing/thawing they would have taken (at least one!) but I must be jinxed with them. I feel like hating them now, but I know when I get back, I'll try to grow them again ... Who knows? Maybe the next time I go to my place I'll have a thicket of them where I threw out all the "bad attempts." I hope so...

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A few years ago I was getting seeds from the seed exchange. I also bought some seeds, broken colors and one with yellowish leaves. They all grew from seed, but the ones I still have are the tall fuchsia and white ones from the seed exchange. They are over my head. Not the most beautiful plant, but they open at night and smell good. Fragrance is something I keep trying for in my yard. They are not in the honeysuckle or stargazer lily rank, but very pleasant. I also have some by an outbuilding and behind a clump of tall grass that get no care whatsoever. They have roots like poke and are as tough. I like a few close for the smell in the evening, but I would not put them with choice plants in a choice bed because they drop a lot of seeds.

• kewpie
    15 years ago

I bought a root a couple of years ago and keep it in a window box that I bring in for the winter. It is doing well.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Helen: You are my kindred spirit! Your quest for fragrance in the garden is my mission as well...On the tropical side (aside from my herb garden), I have so far gathered plumeria, gardenia, two kinds of jasmine, tuberose, a very fragrant type of ginger (hedychium philippinense) and every type of fragrant orchid that I have found so far around here ... I also found some seeds of moonflower that I have just germinated so I am a very happy girl right now. I have also planted an ylang ylang tree that I suspect will be another year or two before it blossoms.

Except for the plumeria and gardenia, everything releases their scent at night and during different times of the year...Some day, I am hoping the mosquitoes will allow me to spend enough time outside in the night to enjoy them!!

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You live in Guam? I'll bet you do have wonderful fragrant plants. I knew from your posts that you had moved away but didn't check your page. You should be careful of the mosquitoes. Is it cool enough at night to open your windows?

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

really fouroclocks

• gldno1
    15 years ago

helen, I love the hibiscus and the 4 o'clocks. I didn't realize the 4 o'clocks got so big!

Is the white hibiscus Diana? I have two and love them, especially that they don't have seeds.

Here is another tall, annual, fragrant plant to add to your garden, garden heliotrope or valeriana officinalis. It self-seeds here and there, but not badly. You can smell it any time of the day.

I search for fragrant plants too.

You are getting that picture thing down pat...congratulations!

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty! I've been collecting hibuscus cuttings and I never really took notice of the variety of hibuscus. Your 4 o'clocks make me more determined to try them when I get back to MO...I'm wondering if I can find any seeds here. Will have to look into that..

No...the only time anyone opens the windows in Guam is when the power goes out or a typhoon has blown past...much too humid, both day and night. Shut up in air-conditioning all the time...

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is Diana. I let a wild grape and winter honeysuckle crowd it. T

he JBeetles love the grape and rose of sharon.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County