Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epaoshaguy

Birds Bees Butterflies

epaoshaguy
15 years ago

Took these today while checking cows...ashamed to have a patch of thistle growing, but I suppose I could rationalize its a habitat for all these critters....

Here is a link that might be useful: Birds Bees Butterflies

Comments (9)

• helenh
    15 years ago

It is blooming in August so it isn't musk thistle. Is it Canadian? The native thistle is OK. Did blue dog help you?

• gldno1
    15 years ago

We have a weevil now that feeds on the flower buds and keeps them from opening....a neighbor released them years ago so that's our excuse. We need to keep thistles to feed the weevils so they can live to do their job. I don't think you can ever completely eliminate them.

Maybe that's why we don't have so many finches at the feeders -too many thistles for them to eat.

Great pictures, btw.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

You're making me want to plant thistles! lol Beautiful photos especially of the goldfinch. Magazine quality.

• epaoshaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BOOM!! goes the thunder....OFF goes the computer.....$#%&@*

Good Mornin' Everyone :-)...had this all typed once...yes its raining here again, my corn stood itself up from the last down pour, not sure if I'll be that lucky twice.

Thank the Canadians for this thistle..I was amazed at how much activity there was...there were dozens of butterflys and several birds, then, you look closer and you see all the little guys...

Blue Dog always goes, but he's seldom much help haha..

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

The pics are great.
    My grandson loves butterflies right now.
    So I am going to save a pic to my screen saver for him to see next week.
    I can just picture his little eyes when he first glances at the screen and realizes it is a butterfly.
    Just have to love grandchildren.
    You always have such lovely photos.
    Living in the country as you do. There is so much wild life for everyone to see.
    That is one thing I do miss about the country.
    Bonnie

• bluesky_girl
    15 years ago

Great pictures. Is this a Canadian thistle? I have the same in my backyard. I let it grow to see what it was and then saw the finches the other day feeding on the seeds and finally made the connection...lol. So how many of these plants will I be pulling up next year? I love seeing how many different birds I have now especially for being in the 'burbs. I envy you being in the country. What kind of zoom do you have on your camera ?

Marge

• helenh
    15 years ago

If it Canadian thistle use round up; don't bother pulling it. Little pieces will survive and make new plants.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Your pictures are always so wonderful! What kind of camera do you have? I envy all of you who live on a farm or in the country. I have some birds and butterflies, but that about all when it comes to wild life, so when you guys post pictures I enjoy them very much.
    Ann

• epaoshaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My wife (Teresa) bought me a Nikon D40x. It came with a 18x55 lens and she added a 55x200 zoom. Its more camera than I understand how to use. I got pretty good at shooting indoor basketball. Both our boys play basketball and football, and one plays all three. Every gym has different lighting, so the settings on the camera have to be changed for each. And football is all together different from that...shot some pics tonite during the pep rally..not the best quality....practice, practice practice....
    Thanks for the compliments....Nite All

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting