Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birds Bees Butterflies

Posted by epaoshaguy 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 0:16

Took these today while checking cows...ashamed to have a patch of thistle growing, but I suppose I could rationalize its a habitat for all these critters....

Here is a link that might be useful: Birds Bees Butterflies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birds Bees Butterflies

It is blooming in August so it isn't musk thistle. Is it Canadian? The native thistle is OK. Did blue dog help you?

o

We have a weevil now that feeds on the flower buds and keeps them from opening....a neighbor released them years ago so that's our excuse. We need to keep thistles to feed the weevils so they can live to do their job. I don't think you can ever completely eliminate them.

Maybe that's why we don't have so many finches at the feeders -too many thistles for them to eat.

Great pictures, btw.

o

You're making me want to plant thistles! lol Beautiful photos especially of the goldfinch. Magazine quality.

o

BOOM!! goes the thunder....OFF goes the computer.....$#%&@*

Good Mornin' Everyone :-)...had this all typed once...yes its raining here again, my corn stood itself up from the last down pour, not sure if I'll be that lucky twice.

Thank the Canadians for this thistle..I was amazed at how much activity there was...there were dozens of butterflys and several birds, then, you look closer and you see all the little guys...

Blue Dog always goes, but he's seldom much help haha..

o

The pics are great.
My grandson loves butterflies right now.
So I am going to save a pic to my screen saver for him to see next week.
I can just picture his little eyes when he first glances at the screen and realizes it is a butterfly.
Just have to love grandchildren.
You always have such lovely photos.
Living in the country as you do. There is so much wild life for everyone to see.
That is one thing I do miss about the country.
Bonnie

o

Great pictures. Is this a Canadian thistle? I have the same in my backyard. I let it grow to see what it was and then saw the finches the other day feeding on the seeds and finally made the connection...lol. So how many of these plants will I be pulling up next year? I love seeing how many different birds I have now especially for being in the 'burbs. I envy you being in the country. What kind of zoom do you have on your camera ?

Marge

o

If it Canadian thistle use round up; don't bother pulling it. Little pieces will survive and make new plants.

o

Your pictures are always so wonderful! What kind of camera do you have? I envy all of you who live on a farm or in the country. I have some birds and butterflies, but that about all when it comes to wild life, so when you guys post pictures I enjoy them very much.
Ann

o

My wife (Teresa) bought me a Nikon D40x. It came with a 18x55 lens and she added a 55x200 zoom. Its more camera than I understand how to use. I got pretty good at shooting indoor basketball. Both our boys play basketball and football, and one plays all three. Every gym has different lighting, so the settings on the camera have to be changed for each. And football is all together different from that...shot some pics tonite during the pep rally..not the best quality....practice, practice practice....
Thanks for the compliments....Nite All

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here