12 years ago

GREATER OZARKS HOSTA SOCIETY

HOSTA and PLANT AUCTION

Saturday, September 3rd, Labor Day Weekend 3-6 pm

�� YOU ARE INVITED!��

This is your opportunity to purchase some

beautiful hostas for your home garden.

We��ll have large, small, all different colors and shapes,

even hostas just for collectors. Hostas for everyone!

PLUS�K

There��ll be a SWEETS TABLE full of tempting delights.

AND�K Prizes and drawings.

BONUS! Tour the Close Hosta garden before the auction

Between 2 and 3, and be entered into a drawing

For a Japanese Maple!

At Nathaniel Greene/Close Memorial Park.

On Scenic between Sunshine and Battlefield.

Enter the park and take the first left.

Go all the way back to the pavilion

in front of the Japanese Stroll Garden.

Need more info? Call Tom at 860-4959

Comments (8)

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lots of great hostas! Oscar from Hilltop brought a selection from Q & Z, a few new ones, some really unusual, like "Fingerprint". They all went for bucks beyond my budget, little 4" liners for over $30. The one that brought the biggest price was a one gallon pot FULL of Lakeside "Zinger" for $42. I did buy three, all older
    varieties that I didn't have: "Mayan Moon", a variegated sport of August Moon: "Spritzer", a medium size streaky gold and green, and "Big Boy", a big green Montana type.

There were a lot of great plants, hostas, ferns, Japanese maples, some conifers, Wish I could have bought more! A lot of money was raised for the Hosta Society, which helps support the hosta garden at Nathaniel Green park in Springfield. We took a walk through it. It has been redone this year and is really impressive! If you get a chance, it is worth a visit!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Sounds like fun. I would've liked to see them all but it would be hard to not buy anything. I need to invest in some soaker hoses and a pile of mulch before I add any more hostas. My poor shade garden is so dry.
    I looked up photos of the hostas you mentioned and I think Mayan Moon would be my favorite of those. Looks really pretty.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My favorite of the ones I bought is going to be Spritzer, I think. Tho I do like Mayan Moon a lot. (You have to go to SO to see the picture on the Hosta Library link).

Now I just have to find a place to put them, lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spritzer

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

That's a pretty hosta Mosswitch! Your shade garden is going to look wonderful. That website just blows me away. I'd forgotten how many named hostas there are. I counted just the ones that start with the word "Blue" and there were 131 lol (I may have lost count).

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The last I heard there were some 3800-4000 named hosta, some of which are in active commerce and some just hybridized and listed on Hosta Library. But the story is there are only 400 or 500 varieties that are actually different looking. With the new "designer" hostas that are being developed, there may be more than that now.

The garden will sure look a lot better if we get some rain! Off to Carthage today for a load of compost!

Sandy

• noxtra
    12 years ago

There were 4514 registered hostas at the end of 2009. I get a new registration book every year and the last couple of years there have been 600 plus new registrations.

I was impressed with both the turnout and hostas to be auctioned. Lots of goodies not readily available at your local garden center!

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta list thru 2008

• noxtra
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1116449}}
    Plants to be Auctioned

{{gwi:1116450}}
    Bidders at the Sweets Table!

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lee, glad to see you had presence of mind to take some pics, I had my camera but do you think I could remember to use it? Lol! You are right, there were some really unusual hostas for sale! I wish my budget had been bigger!

I wonder what the count of registered hostas is up to now?So many new ones every year! I think I have a headache........

But I think this year I am going to concentrate on some of the older but good varieties I might have missed. And give some of the new introductions time to have a year or to on the market before I have to have them. (A good resolution but the Naylor Creek catalog hasn't come yet....)