Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

The Banana Bar for Butterflies

gldno1
13 years ago

I cut open a very ripe banana and put it on the tree stump out in the HB Bed.

I didn't get much activity the first day, but the second, it was covered all day long. I had Red Spotted Purple, Goatweed, and Hackberry butterflies.

It seemed to make them drunk or something. They didn't move when I touched them; one even climbed onto my hand.

I put some bad peaches along side last night. Will be watching what they draw.

The flies and wasps love the fruit too.

From August 2010

Comments (5)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Looks like a popular place!
    I've only seen a Goatweed once. They're pretty when their wings are open but they rest with them closed so it's hard to get a picture.

Any Fruit I've put out the last couple years disappears overnight so I quit doing it. I need to try putting it in a higher spot.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I have two bananas; I think I will eat one and put one out for butterflies. I see you are playing in your yard too. My yard is mowed and the grass is sparce - dried up. I can't stay out in the day for very long without a break so I am in and out. Last night and other nights I have gone out with a flashlight. I have an large orb web spider that has no web in the daytime but every night it makes a new web. It is fascinating to watch it working. I have thrown bugs in the web twice for it. Then I had nine frogs in my little pond; I think they are leopard frogs. They are not big but not tree frogs and have spots. There were probably four tiny baby frogs on the sides of my water tanks that are supposed to be water for plants but are filled with hundreds of tadpoles. The tanks in the sun are too hot and I found a dead frog yesterday in a 30 gal black tub in the sun. THe tanks in the sun don't have tadpoles so I do have some for water. My baBY frogs are the size of the fingernail on my little finger. I hope a bug doesn't eat them. In the day I'm watching dragonflies which I have all over. The blue one has green eyes and I think it is a pond hawk. I ordered a dragonfly book from Amazon; there are so many kinds. I am not in to killing them, but I think you might need a still one to identify it.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I got ants on my banana. Don't you have ants everywhere? I will have to suspend it next time and use one of those cups that protects a hummingbird feeder.

• jessaka
    13 years ago

I like this idea. I will try it.

• User
    13 years ago

use to work for a supermarket in south florida, lady would come in weekly and pick up all the bananas i was ready to toss. got to know her, she was working at "butterfly world" in coconut creek, fla. they would cut them up and place in dishes around the garden. if you ever get a chance visit this garden, worth the trip. she gave me a vip pass for life for all the bananas i gave her. sadly i moved, but it is a cool place!