Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger Swallowtails

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 7:06

Yesterday I had not one, but two flying around the phlox most of the afternoon.

This one has lost part of its swallowtail.

From August 2010

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger Swallowtails

He's pretty even with a bit of his tail missing.
I have lots of butterflies in my yard but never see them visit my phlox. Mine must not have any nectar. I have David and seedlings from David but no other varieties.
Does yours have a name?

o

I have the common magenta ones - seedlings not named varieties and they are black butterfly favorites. Also in my butterfly book lots of black butterflies have the half moon shapes not just spicebush. I should walk in the woods and look for the caterpillars. I have lots of black butterflies but I don't really distinguish between them.

o
RE: Tiger Swallowtails big butterflies

Glenda thanks for the photo.

o

This clump is Robert Poore. Right now it is the main one blooming. The other named one had mildew so bad I cut it to the ground and it may not bloom this year.

Don't either of you buy any. I can get you starts from my large clump. They should be thinned anyway. I think spring is the best time to do it. Please just remind me.

o

I'd love that Glenda. I need to box up all my David volunteers and send them away. They're nice plants because they don't get mildew but I'd rather have one that attracts butterflies and doesn't mildew.

o

I think butterflies would be on your phlox if you didn't have the zinnias. I don't have any zinnias at all.

o

Helen, I do have a row of cactus type zinnias across the garden, but not that gorgeous red like Christies. Maybe that color is the draw.

o

It could be that having a big patch of a single color instead of assorted colors gets their attention better. I have a couple packs of purple zinnias that I bought for next year. We'll see if they like those as well.

My bronze fennel has gotten almost out of hand and Black Swallowtails like to feed on that. I've found quite a few caterpillars on it. We had Queen Anne's Lace in the field too (until we baled it). I may just have more swallowtails than ever this year.

But - I hardly ever see a Tiger Swallowtail and I know I have host plants for them. I must not have what they want.

o

I cut my out of control fennel all down except one stalk...later laying on the ground I saw a tiny caterpillar. I guess I jumped the gun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here