Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Sweet Autumn Clematis survived the Grandpa Ott's

gldno1
15 years ago

If I hadn't pulled most of the morning glory off, I don't think I would have had any bloom at all.

{{gwi:1116601}}

{{gwi:1116602}}

{{gwi:1116603}}

{{gwi:1116604}}

Comments (19)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

William, I thought you had the gp ott's in a planter? Look's like you had success with it this year. I really like that color.
    What is the pretty dk pink in pic #2? is that a dallia?
    Bonnie

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Your flowers are just beautiful, my Sweet Autumn isnt blooming yet, but I will post a pic when it does, it is
    full of buds. I LIKE the color of gp otts. My Heavenly
    Blue does not have a bloom YET. :-( haha caroline

• helenh
    15 years ago

They do look nice together. Your grand pa otts is prettier than mine. My sweet autumn clematis looks good now, but in the rainy weather it had something making its leaves ugly. Most years blister beetles eat it; I haven't had many of them this year.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pink is just plain old zinnias from some seed I had save from last year's blooms.

{{gwi:1116616}}

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh that is too funny.
    I that that william had posted that photo. I remember one from earlier that was in a planter.
    Now that I see it is you gldn1. I also remember you having yours in a fence area.
    Senior moment, or too much sun. Which is why I came in for a while.
    I didn't plant any zinnias this year.
    Yours look great.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

They look great together Gld! I think I've seen people complaining about Sweet Autumn Clematis being too aggressive also so maybe they'll keep each other in check.

I haven't grown Grandpa Otts but I've grown Heavenly Blue and only remember getting one volunteer the next year.

Caroline - I had four Heavenly Blue plants all from the same seed packet and a couple of them bloomed WEEKS ahead of the others growing in the same conditions. It made no sense to me. Anyway - If you're disappointed that yours is blooming so late you might want to try it again next year.

It's funny that you mentioned blister beetles Helen. I just saw my first one today. They ate my hostas down to the veins one summer so I hate them. Most years, my hostas look pretty good and nothing has been eating them yet this summer.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

My morning glories finally decided to grace me w/their blooms.
    It was worth the wait. Such lovely dark pink w/white center. With the dk green foliage.
    'wine and roses". It is suppose to reseed. we'll see.
    I have it running up the utility pole tie down cable. lol. I got sick of looking at it in the middle of the lower lawn.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Sweet autumn clematis is good on a fence away from other plants. We went for a drive today to Pittsburg Kansas. There was a lot of it in trees and covering banks not where anyone had planted it or was caring for it. We have had enough rain that it is doing well this year. Now think of all those seeds blowing. I sound like I don't like plants and I love plants. I have lived on my place so long that mistakes have come back to haunt me. I used to have red flowering quince that bloomed in the spring now they are covered in honeysuckle that I planted years ago. Sweet autumn clematis covers my burning bush except usually blister beetles save it by eating all the leaves off the clematis.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine has never self-seeded...and I want it too! Wonder why?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I don't know.
    I think I might do some searching today and see if there is something I should do to make sure it does. I really like this one.
    I need to see a pic of a blister beetle. I don't think I have ever seen one, or if I have didn't know it.
    I know what you mean Helen. There is and area about 1/4 mile form me that is so over run w/trumpet vine. I keep watching for it, I know I will get it sometime. Also the lady by me that does no yard work. she has a vine of some sort on the fence between us. Well it has gotten out of hand. I also found a start of it up by my foundation. Sooo I will be doing some maintenance on that this weekend.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Now you get to see my weeds

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen, its beautiful. Are all those whites SAC? All I can say is "wow". I bet the smell is powerful.

• helenh
    15 years ago

All along that building is SAC covering burning bush, rose of sharon and wild elderberry that I planted there. It is a bad place for plants because there is an elm tree near that fills the ground with roots. I does smell good, but the leaves get fungus or something maybe spider mites that makes it look bad sometimes. It is a very agressive plant. The one in front on a little windmill tower looks good and I like it. It doesn't seem to spread as much for some reason.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Helen that is what the neighbor has on her fence. and now onto the other neighbors fence, telephone pole and on all the brush piles laying around from the ice storms. That is what I found a start of growing up by my foundation.
    I don't think it would be so bad if in a pot or something. But I'm starting to get a little disgusted by the fact it is showing up every where.
    It did have a powerful smell today when I was mowing down by it.
    Do you know if it will hurt it if I trimmed it up so it's not trailing down into the lawn?
    I don't know much about it except it sure spreads.

• helenh
    15 years ago

If you have a small yard and can watch it, I think it would be fine. Enjoy the flowers and the fragrance, then trim them off so you don't have seeds. I would wait until after it has bloomed and then trim everything you don't want. There is no way you will kill the plant, but if you cut a big stem at the bottom you will have to look at a dead piece of the vine. I have too much to take care of so I am always a feeling a tiny bit guilty about what I haven't done.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh helen I don't have a small lawn. It takes me 2 hours to mow and the trim etc after that.
    I just don't want it in my lawn, growing across and trying to mow.
    It isn't something I planted so not something I want.
    Would be fine if she took care of it, trim it back from other peoples lawn.
    We are in town not the country where she has some sprawling acreage to let it roam.
    I know I sound bad but I really like my lawn to look nice and be a pleasant and clean place for my family and my self to enjoy the outdoors togather.
    Sort of the same thing with my mother.
    She loves honeysuckle, She has it growing in several areas. That is fine . She cuts back what she doesn't want to get out of hand and it is in her area.
    I on the other hand could only stand for it to be in a contained area. so hence I will do my best not to plant something that is going to bring me trouble down the line or cause someone else to have to deal with something they didn't plant or choose to have in their lawn.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

If you mow it in your lawn you will be fine. The small stems are not tough. Both trumpet vine and honeysuckle have tougher stems.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Well, my morning glories, heavenly
    blue. finally have a couple blooms, but I just
    happened to see one thru all the vines, so I am
    going to try grandpa otts next year.
    Thanks to you all for the info and pretty pics. I
    sure enjoy looking at them and learning from your
    posts. Happy gardening, caroline

• helenh
    15 years ago

My moon vine (large white flowers) just started blooming at the end of August. I like it though; the foliage is better looking than my morning glories which have many bug holes. I would like to know what eats them. I also like cypress vine which started blooming not long ago. Its foliage also looks good and the little red flowers are neat. Click to enlarge