Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Hummers Again

gldno1
13 years ago

I thought they were all gone but noticed we had a few around the flowers. We decided to put up the feeder again and I counted at least 4 yesterday.
{{gwi:1116636}}From birds

{{gwi:1116638}}From birds

{{gwi:1116639}}From birds

Comments (5)

• helenh
    13 years ago

Nice close ups. I need to mix up more sugar water. The black and blue salvia is in my view from the kitchen window. They like it and I often see them fighting there. My phlox is done with ratty looking seed heads but there are a few remaining flowers. The black butterflies are all over those. That is keeping me from cutting them all back. I don't need another camera, but I am envious of your camera Glenda.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helen, I have those black swallowtails too and they flutter so fast I can't take pics of them. They are about the only ones I do have.

As to the camera, I still wish I had bought the same kind only a Canon. I think my little Canon has a truer color.

I still have a few phlox that look decent and the batch that got mildew so bad that I cut them to the ground are about knee high now so should bloom before frost.

I just saw the first yellow Canary on the seed head of either a salvia or a rose campion. They love the seeds on the echinacea so should have a feast. all of those are dried and brown.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

The Hummingbirds feed in cycles. The first of April, the Adults move in-they hit the feeders heavy for a few weeks while they are mating, and building nests.
    Then, you will seldom see them, while they are laying, incubating, and feeding babies. If you watch your feeders at daylight, and dusk, you will see them rush in for a few sips.
    Then, as babies leave the nests, you will suddenly see a flurry of birds at the feeders- right now, I'm going thru over a gallon of nectar a day.
    But, then I know the adults are getting ready to leave, about the last week of August.
    Then, the young one stay on untill about the second week of October.
    As least, thats the observation on our farm. I dont take my feeders down from April, when they go up, untill November, in case some strays fly thru.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I don't know how you keep up with all your hummingbirds Ceresone. That's a lot of nectar! I've been seeing a few going to my flowers but don't have feeders up. I should put them up so they can get ready for their trip. I didn't realize the adults leave so soon.

• donna37
    13 years ago

I noticed an increase this morning and hung another feeder.
    Have only seen, at the most, 3 or 4, but this morning I counted at least 9, darn things are hard to count they're so fast:)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia