Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

A Self-Seeded Combo

gldno1
15 years ago

This showed up under the apple tree just outside the chicken run.

Tthe white variegated plant is an Arkansas native called Snow-on-the-Mountain. I planted them all last year and they self-seeded again here and there.

The tall pink in the back is Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate or KMOTGG. The lime green in front is talinum, Jewels of Opar.

{{gwi:1116659}}

Comments (15)

• helenh
    15 years ago

Snow on the Mt. is in the white garden at Nathanael G Park. I thought it had white flowers from a distance - very showy. I put its picture in name that plant, because I thought I might try to grow it. Does it stay that neat at most stages?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

helen, I have just had it for two years; raised it from seed. Yes it just makes a shrub-like plant that gets maybe 36 inches tall. I should have staked one or two plants. So far, no insects bother it. I think it is poisonous and when you break a stalk it oozes a milky white substance that causes some people a rash. Nothing bothers me.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

I am absolutely LOVING that Snow on the Mountain!! Do you know what the botanical name is? I want to look it up and see if it will grow here in Guam and if any of the nurseries have it or can get it or seeds....It just dazzles the eye and in the world of continuous green that I have here it would just make things happy!! Very pretty!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is an annual euphorbia marginata or euphorbia variegata and can be direct sown either in spring or fall.

It is almost a dazzling white in shaded areas and another benefit is it is a xeriscape plant.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

Until I saw that picture I had forgotten that I lost the self-seeding Snow on the Mountain that moved around my garden for several years. Now I've got to try to find it again. I am guessing that the KMOTGG is an amaranth. I have one but not that one. May look for that too. Dorothy

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually it is a polygonum orientale.

I have a thicket of them that are probably 6 feet tall. I think they liked all the rain this year.

I will have seeds by the zillions if you want any.

glenda

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

It is very pretty, Glenda...do the hummingbirds like them?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know about the hummers...it is in the back yard so I don't observe it like the flowers outside the kitchen window or near the patio.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Gldno1,
    I sowed seed for the kmotgg.
    I was wondering if you noticed any problems w/insects or any other problems with this plant?
    How tall and bushy did you plant end up getting? Did it reseed?
    Did you ever notice if you had hummers or butterflies?
    Sorry so many questions. I'm trying to decide where to place it out at.
    I was never able to find any seed for the snow on the mountain. I just love that color. I may end up finding so other variegated plant to put in to the space I was thinking about putting something along that line.
    I'll quit blabbing not.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the Japanese Beetles like it! I may have sprayed or picked them a few times. Nothing else of note. It got about 4-5 feet tall and 3 feet or so wide. I don't recall any spectacular amounts of butterflies or hummers.

Bonnie, I hope mine reseeds this year and I will try to save seeds. I had it in two different places so am hoping for the best.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Gorgeous. Yes, please save seed and add me to the list. They'll be good because they'll be fresh and acclimated to this area. Did you find anything challenging or unusual with seed starting for this?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh silly me.
    I can put it out near the burning bush plant and the new red twig dog wood.
    I have a few things out in that area that I didn't want up by the house. but enjoy looking at.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, now I am wondering if you mean the polygonum or the euphorbia, Violet, or both.

I will check through my seeds; I may have some left from last year.

The polygonum, KMOTGG, will definitely self seed. I had a small grove of them inside the garden fence last year. I left them standing and plan on using the bamboo-like stalks for some, hopefully, unobtrusive plant stakes.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

I'm glad this came to my attention again, as I would love seeds of both the KMOTGG and the Snow on the Mt. I went back and looked at the pic and realized that it wasn't an amaranth but in the buckwheat family. Love it. Would you like to trade for some Naked Ladies when I dig in May? If so, email me. Dorothy

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

gldno1,

I'd originally meant the polygonum, but I don't have either, so both would be even better. If you're up for trading for vegetable seeds, let me know and I'll get together a list.

:)