Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

The shredder Works

gldno1
15 years ago

I have available a lot of old, bad alfalfa hay in square bales that I peel off and use flakes for mulch, but they were too large to get really up close around existing plants. I bought a Troy-Bilt Shredder a couple of years ago and wondered if it would work and it did. I had to pull the flakes apart to fill the feeder, but no problem...here is the results:

{{gwi:1116660}}

{{gwi:1116661}}

I have it about 6-8 inches deep and we just got a nice shower that washed it off the plants. I am very happy with it.

Comments (8)

• ceresone
    15 years ago

I also have one in the garage, We hardly ever use it, because its a pull-start-and I guess our "pull" has gotten tired.
    I want, oh, how I want, The DR mower vac, elec start, would make my life easier.
    Nice flower beds!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine is pull start but so far starts on the second pull; hope that keeps up.

Those are just some annuals I put around the foundation after to took out the overgrown Yews.

Thank goodness, my riding mower is electric start.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

you are fortunate in more then one way. closest alfalfa i have seen to us is about 90 miles away. around osage creek, west of harrison. no row crops here at all.

william

• helenh
    15 years ago

Alfafa hay, lucky you, I am happy to buy straw, but you earned it if you were a dairy farmer. That is a hard, demanding risky job, so you deserve every bale.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, this alfalfa is not local and it represents an early lesson when we started dairying. You can't trust a lot of people you deal with! We bought an entire semi-load of this hay and it was so bad the cows wouldn't eat it....the man would not stand behind it......so it has been laying in the loft of the barn for lots of years. I hope it will last as long as I do!

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That is sad to hear about you alfalfa.
    Years ago we had the same thing happen to us. we had purchased a truck load of round bales. When you opened them up they were full of trash. We ended up putting them in a "wash" area of the field that was low. Would have water standing if rained too much. Left to rot. Helped, but sure was a n expensive fix.
    Your beds look great. I'm sure your flowers are loving the mulch.
    I'm with you, I love my electric start mower.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Your garden looks wonderful! I like the redish flowers. A shredder is on my wish list. If you use straw as a mulch, do you get a lot of weeds like hay? I have never used straw before as a mulch. I have so many oak trees that I just use leaves; I use the lawn mower to cut the leaves into little pieces. I am behind the times, huh?
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

Straw will grow wheat which I like. I am sure there are weed seeds too but I already have plenty of weeds. The straw is very useful, but it might not work for people in town. You can put newspapers down and flakes of straw over to make a path or smother weeds. When you plant tomatoes or something big you and can put straw around if you don't stake them. Your cat can sit on straw bails and attack your other cat using the straw as a hiding place. When it partly rots it makes a nice brown mulch.