Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Hummingbirds - photo

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Around the first of August, my hummingbird population increased. I have three feeders hung on my back porch and have been seeing several at a time, especially early in the morning and late in the evening. I've seen as many as eight all coming to the feeders at the same time. My daughter and I were sitting on the porch only about three feet away from the feeders when I took this photo.

She thinks it's cool to be able to get so close without them getting scared off. It's fun for me too. : )

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Christie, that's a fabulous photo. They are so hard to catch with the camera. They do get very tame. We can sit on the porch near the feeder and they still come.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Christie, your hummingbird picture is wonderful! My hummingbirds do not eat together, because they fight alot. I love to sit on the porch and watch them eat.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

very nice photo.

william

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Great photo Christie.
    we like to watch them also. By we I mean the grandchildren and myself.
    Do you always get that many every year?
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Do you think the new ones are offspring just big enough to come to the feeders? I sometimes find their tiny nests in the winter when the foliage is off the shrubs.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Great photo! I've never been able to capture one of those either. My hummingbirds never seem to get tame. The females are more friendly and will come to the feeder if I sit very still but the males won't come around if anyone is outside.

• epaoshaguy
    15 years ago

Very cool pic christie...its neat to capture a moment like that.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the most I'd ever seen at one time was four until this summer. Now I almost always have six to eight going to my feeders. I'm sure I must have a few going to my flowers at the same time as well.

A few years ago I had one that would let me get close but this is the first year since then that I've been able to sit on the porch and watch them go to the feeders. We could watch them through the window before but it's more fun to be on the porch where we can hear them buzzing around.
    Some of them are babies that were born this year. I've seen a couple that have a tiny red dot on their throat. I think those are immature males.
    Hope they find their way back to my yard next spring.

• helenh
    15 years ago

What kind of camera do you have and what setting do you put it on to get your closeups? I put mine on auto and when I see green I take a picture. Are you doing something special?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - My camera's on auto most of the time too. I've never used some of the special features that it has. I do use the zoom feature, which I used for the hummingbird photo. If I get too close and try to zoom, it won't focus. On my camera, I zoom in closer, push the button down half-way to set the focus and then push it down all the way to take the picture. If it doesn't look focused on the screen before I click, I know that I've tried to get too close.

If I can get only a few inches away from my subject, I can switch my camera to macro, while the other settings are still on automatic, and I use that for taking a photo of something small.
    For the monarch photo below, I didn't zoom in. I just held the camera very close (about three or four inches away) and used the macro feature.

It wasn't moving so that helped. lol

If I try to take a picture of a hummingbird with my zoom lens when it's moving its wings, it's pretty blurry. I think I may be able to use the manual settings on it to adjust the shutter speed but I don't know how to do that. lol

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H3 that I just bought this year for around $320. It has a 10X Optical zoom and 8.1mp. I bought a Panasonic Lumix before Christmas and returned it because the pictures weren't good at all.
    I don't see the same model that I got on Best Buy's website so maybe they've updated it already. The one below is very similar and is $279 on sale. That seems to be the way it goes with digital cameras. The prices keep getting lower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Buy Sony Cybershot

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH