Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Wild monarda

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

I found some kind of wild monarda growing along the edge of our field this week. I don't know which kind is most common here but I think it might be Monarda fistulosa. I also saw some growing along the road by our neighbor's house.

Should I try to collect some seeds? Does anyone know whether it's yard worthy?

I used to have 'Marshall's Delight' and thought the bloom time was kind of short. This year I have a red one that the hummingbirds are supposed to like. (can't remember name) It has bigger flowers and bloomed quite awhile. Jacob Cline! (time elapsed one minute) lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarda fistulosa - Grow Native Website

Comments (8)

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I have it growing in a couple of beds, and am happy with it.
    {{gwi:1116817}}

It forms a nice patch but isn't invasive.

• ben_birding
    16 years ago

It would almost definitely be M. fistulosa, which is IMO, better than the other garden monardas. It has a longer bloom period, mildew resistant(never had a problem), and is hardier in ozark soil.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

We have it in various places on the farm. I would definitely say it is garden worthy and probably does better and has a longer life span than the hybrids. It is a very pale, grayish lavender.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Usually when I come across something new it's just another non-native invasive. Hope it spreads.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Looking at old posts.
    {{gwi:1116800}}
    {{gwi:1116802}}
    {{gwi:1116804}}
    {{gwi:321026}}

{{gwi:321027}}
    {{gwi:264243}}
    {{gwi:1116808}}
    {{gwi:1116811}}

{{gwi:1116814}}

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - I'm so glad you brought this to the top! I drove back in the field last week and took a picture of the monarda.

I didn't stay back there long enough to see if the hummingbirds were using it.

Ironweed is also blooming now along the ditches. I started one of those from seed last year. Mine has buds but isn't blooming yet.

Have you identified the flowers that you took pictures of Helen? The purple one doesn't look familiar at all to me.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• helenh
    15 years ago

My guesses are Jerusalem artichoke, 2 ground (cherry odd I think), 2 NOID, brown-eyed susan, campanulaceae Triodanis perfoliata Venus' looking glass, and teasel which I like for dried flower arrangements. I had my camera looking for the dead bob cat, but someone had taken it. I didn't know I had bob cats, but when I took Mom to the doctor there was a dead one on the road by my land. No camera, no time to look. When I came back it was gone.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I think the blue one is Campanula americana according to Missouriplants.com not Triodanis perfoliata. I am going by pictures and not really reading the detailed descriptions. The middle yellow ones are a mystery. I took most of the pictures from the road and did not wade into the weeds to get a better look.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional