Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Are you looking for bargains?

helenh
15 years ago

I bought a 3 gallon knock out rose for $10. in great shape at Neosho Lowe's. I would prefer a fragrant rose, but the knock out I already have in a pot has bloomed non stop all summer with no problems.

Comments (7)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Helen, you got a great deal! I paid $18 a piece for my double knockouts at Lowes in May. They have bloomed nonstop. They were in 3 quart pots. Maybe I need to go to our local Lowes and see if they have any roses left that are on sell. What color did you get? I love knockouts, because I have not had to spray all summer, and they can tolerate shade.
    Ann

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine is the red single. Neosho Lowe's is new and they don't have a sign that you can easily see from the road. If they had more business this rose would have been gone. I bought a blue ceramic pot and a beautiful pink caladium at Alexandria's near Carthage today. She assured me I could keep the caladium over winter, but she truely has a green thumb.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was very bad today. I bought 5 pots of rudbeckia subtomentosa, 2 asters, 4 plumbago blue groundcover and one more I forget what. These were on sale for half price. The rudbeckia is what I have been looking for only they had Henry Eilers which is a quilled petal variety. I would have preferred the normal flowers. If I had ordered them from the wildflower nursery shipping would have been $12. I don't mind paying for plants, but shipping costs bother me.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

You got a good deal. I like rudbeckia subtomentosa and asters, but I have never seen plumbago blue groundcover. I will have to do search to for that one. I don't like shipping cost either. I ordered roses and the shipping cost was more than the roses. I am glad you found what you wanted without having to order.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The blue flowering plant I bought is shown in this link. It is really blue not purple as shown in the picture; the newest growth is reddish. I haven't grown it before but it is pretty and was on sale. Did I need that many plants? NO

Here is a link that might be useful: ground cover

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

What a good shopper you are Helen! - Where did you find your rudbeckia?

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since pauln's praise of sweet coneflower I have been searching for a source. I came across the cultivar name Henry Eilers on the web and realized I had seen it at Ozark Nursery north of Joplin. It is not that pretty in the nursery; I will just have to see how it does in the garden. I have read about sweet coneflower before and never followed up on it.